Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Good firm but the Carlyle Group is slowly destroying the brand

Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good work-life balance, decent stability, ok pay. Still winning contracts and multiples on labor rates have gone down some. Still some value to the Booz Allen name and there is a consulting legacy that can be salvaged.

Cons

Pay a bit lower than competitors, Retirement reduced, and very stingy with leave. Lack of real engagement form so-called leadership. The Carlyle Group the equity firm that owns Booz Allen is dismantling everything that made Booz Allen a marque consulting firm. They have made near 100% billable targets, reducing opportunities for development and growth, the structure is still way too top heavy and Senior Management does little to contribute to performance and growth. Cutting retirement -ECAP is and will have negative impacts on the morale fo years to come. Our labor rates are still high but now we have sub par employees with no experience, little training and no leadership - trying to do a good job but ill equipped. The move toward "butts in seats" instead of qualified consultants is harming the Booz Allen brand and will tank our image and reputation.

Cut the fat at the Senior Management levels - they are not performing and you are hurting your more junior staff with the 100% billability targets. We are too expensive because we have too may Principles, VPs etc. not because Levels 1-4 weren't working hard enough. Pass on "butts in seats" type of contracts unless we can really add value. Get back to our consulting roots and be different than the other beltway bandits by getting good people and keeping them with superior benefits and engagement.

2333 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Great company for people interested in mission oriented consulting.

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

mission driven work, great work-life balance.

Cons

So far there are no downsides to working at Booz Allen.

Great Opportunities, Poor Ethics

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The firm will take care of it's employees. You can have your schooling paid for, great educational opportunities, and the ability to do side projects if you want. The cultural diversity at BAH is an excellent starting point for many people fresh out of school and the possibility of career advancement is second to none.

Cons

Leadership is disconnected from the lower levels and often, mid-level leaders will encourage violation of time reporting policies. In particular, having one report less hours than they actually work. For example, working 60 hours in support of the client, only to be told do not report more than 50 hours for the week otherwise you will draw "unwanted attention" and make your life difficult.

Update the policies and procedures of the firm. Currently, the system has no means to accurately report harassment, time reporting violations, or other ethical implications anonymously when one works on a remote site with a small team.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton