Booz Allen Hamilton

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Great Company for Ambitious Type A's

Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA
Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to pursue variety of challenges while serving federal client. Ability to perform management consulting while growing/mentoring team members as well as business development opportunities

Cons

Must put in a lot of "volunteer" or personal time to accomplish it all to be considered for promotions making it hard to balance work/life activities.

2290 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Good firm but the Carlyle Group is slowly destroying the brand

Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good work-life balance, decent stability, ok pay. Still winning contracts and multiples on labor rates have gone down some. Still some value to the Booz Allen name and there is a consulting legacy that can be salvaged.

Cons

Pay a bit lower than competitors, Retirement reduced, and very stingy with leave. Lack of real engagement form so-called leadership. The Carlyle Group the equity firm that owns Booz Allen is dismantling everything that made Booz Allen a marque consulting firm. They have made near 100% billable targets, reducing opportunities for development and growth, the structure is still way too top heavy and Senior Management does little to contribute to performance and growth. Cutting retirement -ECAP is and will have negative impacts on the morale fo years to come. Our labor rates are still high but now we have sub par employees with no experience, little training and no leadership - trying to do a good job but ill equipped. The move toward "butts in seats" instead of qualified consultants is harming the Booz Allen brand and will tank our image and reputation.

Cut the fat at the Senior Management levels - they are not performing and you are hurting your more junior staff with the 100% billability targets. We are too expensive because we have too may Principles, VPs etc. not because Levels 1-4 weren't working hard enough. Pass on "butts in seats" type of contracts unless we can really add value. Get back to our consulting roots and be different than the other beltway bandits by getting good people and keeping them with superior benefits and engagement.

Great People and Life Balance

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

LA office has a good group of fun people; fun culture with quarterly events planned. Work on a variety of Satellite programs for the military.

Cons

Work is not as technically challenging as other technology development companies. Lots of changes in management structure that are being rolled out very slowly. Sometimes management seems disconnected with what is actually happening at headquarters that impacts the LA office.

More open and honest with communication

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton