Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com

A once great company that has been decimated by a series of bad decisions

Former Employee - Lead Associate  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

I spent over 8 years at Booz Allen and learned a lot. I had a fantastic manager who worked with me to ensure I maximized my learning opportunities. I have always said that a year at Booz Allen is like 3 years in a masters program / MBA - I learned a tremendous amount in the time I worked there.

Cons

For as great as my local management was, my future was tied to the pyramid system of marketing to different clients. If my clients budget was growing I had promotion opportunities, if it was shrinking then I had no hope. There is a lot of talk about cross-pollination between client teams and markets, but in my experience I did not see it happen as often as it should have.

Study your competitors and try NOT to repeat their mistakes. With the Carlyle buy-out you've started down a path of becoming a "Lockheed Martin" and I think you've ruined the corporate culture because of it.

Other reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

It's okay...but not what it used to be

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay, not as strict in their career models as other consulting companies, great projects

Cons

I wasn't here before the firm went public and also solely became a Federal consulting company so I can't say how much greater it was, but coworkers are constantly telling me how it was better back in its heyday.

My biggest complaint would be that they seem to keep hiring when availability of current projects is quite small--in essence stop hiring so much on overhead and take care of existing employees. I know many people who are trying to get out.

Overall positive experience, but have experienced a decline with too many organizational
    changes in the last 2 years.

Current Employee - Lead Associate
    Current Employee - Lead Associate

Pros

Booz Allen has great flexible working arrangements if your role/job allows it. The people are great to work with. There are opportunities to volunteer in the community through Booz Allen.

Cons

Booz Allen's promotion and growth opportunities are now limited, and are no longer different from our competitors as benefits have declined and consultants are not carried for longer than two weeks when a contract is lost or not an extended.

Reconsider the decision to go Public.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!