There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Great place to build a career

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company for transitioning military. Firm encourages growth and advancement with rewards for superior client delivery.

Cons

Middle management could use more people engagement training.

Advice to Management

Engage client facing employees with more consistency and sincerity.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Mostly good, but nightmare annual review process

Former Employee - Security Operations Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Security Operations Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is fair and some of the supervisors are actually very interested in your success rather than their own advancement.

Cons

The culture of personal success and promotion can capture some people and they become more interested in their advancement than doing their job as supervisors.

Advice to Management

Use the annual evaluation process for those seeking promotion and for certain milestones in their careers rather than every year. The 'volunteer' status of the process is not fooling anyone.

A ship with no direction at the moment, but actively working to find some

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with great people. If your on the right team initially it can real speed up your career position. You will gain first hand insight into why employee morale is so important to a business, why in a service industry where people are your asset it is better to be private, and the danger of when barbarians at the gate take over your company. If you want to eventually be a government employee, this is a great place to start. Work Life balance at certain levels is a real thing. Lots of good decks to read on the internal sharepoint site. At the DC office very very good looking group of people Average salary All in all this was a slightly above average first job experience, and I was fortunate enough to be on a great team, with great managers, that initially allowed me to take some risks in my career (ie. in my three years there I worked for 4 different clients). Also I genuinely enjoyed the BAH people I was around and in fact, I would consider some of them friends for life. As stated earlier if you are really into government work, there is not a better place to start a career or make a switch. A couple people on my team and projects were able to go from mid level people at Booz to GS-14 within the government (granted they all had an advanced degree of some kind). Initially, my managers were very flexible with what kind of training I took, but after the firm went public a lot of things changed for the worse.

Cons

Expense and time reporting is a pain (although this is the same everywhere) ***Extremely siloed and specialized**** 99% government work Constantly going through changes Often don't follow the same advice and methodology that they sell to clients More and more staff augmentation (aka butt in seats) Losing company culture as a result of people being located on client site and lots of new faces Managers under extreme cost focus and pressure which results in them being very risk averse and short sighted Lots of dishonesty from upper management in messaging and communication Low employee morale The barbarians are at the gate the most important advice I can give here is be very careful what projects you select, because you become your resume (meaning your resume drives your career path less than you) while this is understandable and to be expected in consulting it is not what most people are told when they enter the firm. They are told about the wide range of opportunities, but as a result of how strict most clients are about the resumes they select this isnt very accurate. Additionally, many incoming college consultants don't realize how hard it is to switch from government over to the commercial side after you have only done government work. Your only shot will be in healthcare or in a compliance role, and it will be very difficult to switch from government to high level strategy roles. Another big issue is that you become very jaded, working for the government is depressing, there is so much waste and in some ways you are a part of it. This was especially troubling while I was on a project at the VA, the money they were paying for consultants was wasted due to poor management on the clients end. Which leads to another point, calling BAH a consulting company is not accurate any more, because over 65% of the work there is staff augmentation meaning you are a contractor that works for a government employee and happens to be paid by BAH. The employee morale here is very low, as a result of sort of a cultural limbo. It's actually quite fascinating and would make a great HBS case study, basically there were a large (but shrinking) number of people who were here in the good old days (pre split with Booz and Company), after this split and Carlyle came in not much changed, but as a result of various hiring initiatives, lack of winning work predicted, the political landscape, and going public the company culture was decimated and you had people angry that the place they knew was basically gone, and you had people angry that what they were sold prior to joining wasnt the case (this was because the people who were selling it generally believed what they were being sold from their managers). In general this has led to a large % of people who are dispassionate about work because of a lack of career options and upward mobility, and as a result client delivery has suffered (it's not bad work, it's just not above and beyond anymore). The biggest issue at this place is that the executive team treat its employees like morons and feed them the prepackaged messaging that everyone learns at B school. Most intelligent employees can see through this and that makes people even less efficient and interested in going above and beyond. Lastly there are no real incentives any more to do anything extra outside of your job (unless you buy that you should go above and beyond because you have a job). This means that more than likely any extra work you do, you will not see the benefit, in career progression, or salary increases (bonuses etc). There is a log jam of people at the higher levels, because they do not have an up or out mentality. That being said you may see some benefit in terms of the responsibility you are given, but quite frankly this can only help you if you are looking for another job, but even then you will be underpaid, because your next jobs salary will be based on your current jobs salary. All in all it is not a bad experience, you just need to make sure your expectations are managed correctly, and I think if you come in with the right understanding and expectations it can be quite an enjoyable place (at any level under lead associate). Take what I say with a grain of salt though, because the stock price is at an all time high, so clearly management is doing a lot of things correctly for their investors. This is a classic case of what is good for investors, may not be good for employees and clients.

Advice to Management

Bring in some young management with new and innovative changes, create a culture of honesty and transparency. Dont give b school speak to your employees. Increase the amount of risk you are willing to take (with employee progression, training, projects,etc). Manage expectations better and employee morale will increase