There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Amazing Company if you can get in.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is amazing. the work/life balance is great, and the business mindset for the Firm is correct. They will continue to be a force within the environment and continue to mentor young Consultants and leverage their inherent skills as they expand within the Civil market.

Cons

The annual assessment cycle is brutal, but gives a true look at the talents of the staff on the team. The political games that are played here depends on your manager and there are good and bad. That comes with any Firm of this size. It was overall a good experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Used to be great, now declining

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BAH does a decent job of finding new work for existing employees, although this is becoming more difficult since losing several large contracts recently. - Their large size means that they can prime contracts, which has some perks. - Flexible work hours are great for avoiding traffic.

Cons

In 2007 managing director Marc Gerencser said that, "being privately held allowed the firm to consider long-range investments that companies beholden to shareholders might not be able to make". He was right and since going public in 2010, BAH has been on a steady decline from an employee perspective. Traditionally BAH has valued their people as their biggest asset and salaries and benefits proved it, but that has changed. Salaries are flat--no raises for management this year and small or no raises for others, but CEO Ralph Shrader managed to get a 47% increase. Vacation and 401K contributions are being cut this year and next year. Sure government contracting is hurting all over, but BAH compensation and benefits are now no better (and in some cases, worse) than their competitors. Under Ralph Schrader's leadership, BAH has become extremely liberal. Here are some of the forums that are sponsored and encouraged at the firm: Administrative Professionals Forum African American Forum Armed Services Forum Asia & Pacific American Forum DiverseABILITY Forum Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Transgender Employees (GLOBE) Latin American Forum Middle East and North Africa Forum (MENA) Multinational Forum Native American Forum Parents’ Forum Rising Leaders Forum Women’s Forum With all this focus on diversity, the firm seems to have lost its identity of being a cohesive team with the most technically competent workforce. One last item: annual assessments. The firm knows this is a problem because they keep changing the process every 2 years, but it's still an arduous task with questionable benefits. Every year my feedback it to learn more about the business side of things, and every year I feel like quitting when I hear that.

Advice to Management

Turn your focus back on building and rewarding a competent workforce and stay out of politics. Fix or discard the painful annual assessment process. Stop cutting benefits.

As an Independent Contractor, my particular experience was that BAH gave nothing but disdain and condescension.

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

None come to mind...One of the IT employees was helpful.

Cons

The "team" that administered the particular project that I was associated with for 20 months, was arrogant, rude and aloof. Perhaps if I had worked with a BAH Project Team, my experiences and opinions might have been more positive... Their online system of submitting receipts and billable hours on a monthly basis, was notoriously difficult to get to work.

Advice to Management

None