There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Amazing Company if you can get in.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is amazing. the work/life balance is great, and the business mindset for the Firm is correct. They will continue to be a force within the environment and continue to mentor young Consultants and leverage their inherent skills as they expand within the Civil market.

Cons

The annual assessment cycle is brutal, but gives a true look at the talents of the staff on the team. The political games that are played here depends on your manager and there are good and bad. That comes with any Firm of this size. It was overall a good experience.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Used to be great, now declining

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BAH does a decent job of finding new work for existing employees, although this is becoming more difficult since losing several large contracts recently.
    - Their large size means that they can prime contracts, which has some perks.
    - Flexible work hours are great for avoiding traffic.

Cons

In 2007 managing director Marc Gerencser said that, "being privately held allowed the firm to consider long-range investments that companies beholden to shareholders might not be able to make". He was right and since going public in 2010, BAH has been on a steady decline from an employee perspective.

Traditionally BAH has valued their people as their biggest asset and salaries and benefits proved it, but that has changed. Salaries are flat--no raises for management this year and small or no raises for others, but CEO Ralph Shrader managed to get a 47% increase. Vacation and 401K contributions are being cut this year and next year. Sure government contracting is hurting all over, but BAH compensation and benefits are now no better (and in some cases, worse) than their competitors.

Under Ralph Schrader's leadership, BAH has become extremely liberal. Here are some of the forums that are sponsored and encouraged at the firm:

Administrative Professionals Forum
    African American Forum
    Armed Services Forum
    Asia & Pacific American Forum
    DiverseABILITY Forum
    Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Transgender Employees (GLOBE)
    Latin American Forum
    Middle East and North Africa Forum (MENA)
    Multinational Forum
    Native American Forum
    Parents’ Forum
    Rising Leaders Forum
    Women’s Forum

With all this focus on diversity, the firm seems to have lost its identity of being a cohesive team with the most technically competent workforce.

One last item: annual assessments. The firm knows this is a problem because they keep changing the process every 2 years, but it's still an arduous task with questionable benefits. Every year my feedback it to learn more about the business side of things, and every year I feel like quitting when I hear that.

Advice to Management

Turn your focus back on building and rewarding a competent workforce and stay out of politics. Fix or discard the painful annual assessment process. Stop cutting benefits.

Great company in the east coast...Awful at every other location

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Government clients have heard of Booz Allen and usually trusts our judgement

Cons

I worked with booz allen in the east coast (DC) for couple of years and it was great. I got promoted, won some performance awards, got to volunteer at awesome places, build my skill sets, etc. I made the decision to move out to CO to support a client. Awful decision because the leadership out here does not care about you at all. They believe in having no bench so if the client doesn't continue your workstream, you are immediately laid off. There is no chance for promotion and you get no awards for your continuous hard work. Also the hiring here is terrible because in the east coast, we hire talented and impressive smart folks with great background and education. Here we hire anyone and everyone with no qualifications. Pretty sad.

Advice to Management

Start caring about the people who work for you.