There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Interesting

Former Employee - Senior Management Consultant in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Senior Management Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork and prospects were excellent.

Cons

Hired the wrong people, who embarrassed the company.

Conduct proper background checks and educated further.

2180 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Big firm, Impersonal but get good skills

Former Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a lot of interesting projects but is overstaffed, or was at least when I was there. As a result getting on an interesting project is pretty challenging. You work with pretty smart people so you can pick up good skills and lifestyle is very balanced. Flexible work hours are a big plus and compensation is great for the hours.

Cons

You have to make a lot of effort to find interesting work. More likely you end up on a boring project with fewer responsibilities to stay billable. There is a sense that the quality of the firm is being diluted to get more staff out there and increase profitability. Generally the "consulting" aspect of the firm is fading and it's just becoming another generic contractor.

Focus on quality, not quantity. It's a shrinking market and BAH will not stand out from the crowd if it's just trying to turn into another SAIC or whatever bleh contractor. But it's probably too late for this to really mean anything.

Great if you can focus solely on work. Not so much if you need a life outside of it.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very talented colleagues.
    Team-oriented work environment.
    Great pay.

Cons

Long hours are the norm, if you intend to move up.
    Little tolerance for outside-of-work commitments.

I was a National Guardsman when I joined Booz Allen. In fact, my NG experience (job experience/security clearance) was a major factor in my being hired. One year into my employment with BAH, I became a company commander in the Guard, which required me to occasionally attend meetings during the week, and attend some additional military training.

It was eventually suggested to me that I might want to choose which career to follow. This struck me as odd, since they knew I was a Guardsman when I was hired.

I was already working 50 hours a week (40 with my clients, and another 10 on firm-related activities). I had school-aged kids, and wanted to be a part of their lives. And I had several hours of commander-related duties each week.

At my rank and time of service, the pay was roughly equal between the two, so when management suggested I make a choice, it was easy.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton