There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

A great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work-life balance is excellent. Training opportunities are great. Benefits are excellent. Management seem to know how to manage the firm through down turns in the economy.

Cons

Assessment process doesn't seem fair. Promotion from Associate to Senior Associate is tough. Salary compensation doesn't seem to reflect level of education and years of experience.

How employees are assessed needs further review. Expecting employees to play multiple roles is understandable but should not be used against them in assessments.

2185 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Incredible Veteran Support

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I'm posting this review to specifically address the incredible support I received from BAH during my current deployment to Iraq. Not only does the Salary Continuation Program pay me the difference between my Army base pay and my BAH salary, I also continued to accrue paid time off for the first six months of my deployment. Now that I'm getting ready to come home, the support from our HR management has been fantastic, already working on getting me right onto a new contract when I get back. For those still serving, I don't know another firm that is as committed to supporting their employees during their time overseas.

Cons

More pre-deployment counseling about how the process works, both going and coming back would have been very helpful. Getting the information about how I get reintegrated took me a few tries to get nailed down. Once I found the right person, everything was great.

Keep up the incredible support. This is one employee whose loyalty to the firm has been solidified by this experience.

Consultants or Contractors????

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great benefits package; flexible work arrangement for employees not sitting with government clients; core values engrained in culture

Cons

no real work/life balance for ALL employes; some managers expect you to work weekends (even if simply answering blackberry or emails) after putting in 50/60+ hours each week; too much time spent on developing quarterly assessments for employees when management or committee will include / not include what it wants for the employee; some employees are promoted before they are truly ready for the next level based on the competencies set; continues to lose strong Level III (Associates) b/c of lack of career development / growth opportunities, even with the newly added Lead Level III. (just another layer added to expand the amount of time to reach senior leadership level

Not all managers are "fit" to lead a team and help others develop in their career; more attention should be given to the idea of functional leads (client development) and administrative leads (people development)

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton