There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

A good but not great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture with emphasis on respect, collegiality, diversity, and productivity. No drama, no yelling, no abusive bosses. Strong focus on development of technical skills, then development of business development skills and strategy. A great place to hone one's professional skills, see how an efficient corporation works, and develop consulting skills. Competitive compensation, especially for junior staff.

Cons

Booz can be a very demanding place to work, and very stressful during government proposal season. Life/work balance gets some lip service, but most people who are getting ahead at Booz live for their jobs, and are very focused on doing what is right, pleasing their bosses, and being subservient to clients. I think for most people Booz is not a fun place to work. It can be very serious, cold, and impersonal. With staff dispersed across government client sites it can be very challenging for staff to stay connected to their managers. It is also common within Booz for people to be very hard working but not get recognized for it.

Advice to Management

Booz is an adaptive organization, but still very much a conventional one. They haven't yet figured out how to embrace the business ethos that has come from Silicone Valley, Apple, Zappos, etc. Booz leadership looks to innovate in the company structure, operations, and service offerings, but they don't spend as much time or effort figuring out how to innovate within the organizational culture--updating the People Model has been a good start, but the firm needs to do much more to make Booz a place that attracts and retains creative, innovative people. Booz is a great place for people who love to make lists, check boxes, navigate bureaucracy,and do what is told to them by their managers, but we do not have an environment that is conducive to unleashing the true creative potential of our people.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Getting worse every year

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart colleagues, decent salary, ability to work from home (dependent on client needs), lots of generally nice people below senior management

Cons

Benefits and opportunities keep getting cut. High performers are getting 2% raises even in growing markets (e.g., health), and average performers are getting 0%. Opportunities to do business development (proposal work and white papers) are rare now because of the increased emphasis on direct labor - some of us who used to be 85% billable now are set at 95%, so any additional work you want to do or are required to do is all on what would have been your own time. This is starting to hurt the company's business prospects, because fewer strong performers are raising their hands for things that will help in the long term (white papers, proposal work, etc) and are focusing only on billable work - that is the most important thing. The acquisition by Carlyle a few years back has chipped away at our available overhead. Overhead is what pays for marketing work, thought leadership, team building, covering strong producers who are on the beach for a short period of time, even things like new hire lunches. When Carlyle sold a division of Arinc to Booz (yes, Carlyle sold a division to itself, essentially), that meant a chunk of our overhead now goes to pay Carlyle for buying something that it still owns. When we took out a loan to pay dividends to our shareholders (mostly Carlyle), that meant a chunk of our overhead goes to paying back our loan. Carlyle uses Booz as a magic money machine. Our leadership at Booz will say again and again that Carlyle lets them manage us without interfering - but that is only true so far as managing what is left after Carlyle squeezes out more cash. People who have been here forever are finally leaving. I'm just waiting for the right lifeboat, myself.

2. Consulting but beware of contracting

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company and internal resources

Cons

Work is sometimes closer to contracting