Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
  www.boozallen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Stopped caring about employees, and started losing them...

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, built a good network

Cons

all about what you bill, raises are tiny, everyone is leaving, stopped caring about individuals and instead just about what you can bill for them

Go back to the old Booz, show your employees you care, the BAH reputation is declining, our clients know, employees, know it, all of DC knows it - yet there is no communication from the top-down that they care it's happening or that they are losing employees.

2243 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

It was a great firm until they went public.

Former Employee - Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, education benefits, work opportunities.

Cons

Heavy on middle management. No ability to keep staff on if there is no billable contract.

Not a bad gig, but not great either.

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Work-Life balance is pretty awesome. I am full-time on a project that's relatively easy and am able to go to graduate school part-time without too much stress.
    -People are smart, friendly and realistic. I work in the Strategy Communication division so I can't speak for the other service lines.
    -Pay is decent -- I'm an associate making close to 100K.
    -I'm able to work from home a lot and drop into the various offices in the DC area as I see fit. Some people are on projects that require them to be onsite and I've heard it's a drag. The project you end up on is somewhat random and by luck, unless you're hired on for a specific role on a specific project.
    -Booz Allen has a pretty decent reputation.
    -Advancement is not too difficult within the company as long as you have a good career manager and project opportunities.
    -Benefits are good.

Cons

-Booz Allen works mainly with government so there's not much diversity in the type of clients you will work with. There was a non-compete after BAH and Booz & Company split, but that's since been lifted and BAH is trying to make inroads into the commercial sector. I've heard of a couple of wins but I'm not sure how successful it's been overall.
    -For the most part, you're required to find your own project after your career manager helps you get on your first engagement. Honestly, I'm on the fence as to whether this is a pro or con. I'm very outgoing and like meeting new people so it's right in my wheelhouse, but some aren't. People who are more introverted would probably find the culture at Booz Allen a little difficult to navigate.
    -Working with government can be tedious and, for the most part, the work you're doing is a few years behind the private sector, especially in digital strategy and marcom.
    -If you're right out of school, god help you :) I could not imagine starting my career here or any other big consulting firm for that matter. I came with about 6-7 years of experience with a clear career direction and marketable skills. Yes, you can make a decent pay for being a recent graduate but your career trajectory is somewhat random. You'll acquire skills working on projects, but those too are random and, as mentioned, a few years behind the industry.
    -Annual pay increases are downright offensive. In the past year, my career manager, who is also my task lead on my project, has pushed a lot of work onto me and kept the potential of being promoted as a reason for me to take on a lot more responsibility -- a lot of which was his work. I agreed and I got promoted within one year, but only received a 5% pay increase. The company will cite the downturn in government contracting but it's complete BS. So with a promotion, I received a 5% increase. That's barely above a cost-of-living adjustment you typically receive at other companies without a promotion. Now, my manage continues to push more work my way that is not billable because I'm now an Associate. LOL, just ridiculous.

Provide decent raises in promotion cases, especially for Consultants - Lead Associates. You're losing a lot of talent because of it. I'm actively looking for a new job because of the slap in the face raise I received.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton