There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Once Great Company - Where are they headed?

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Denver, CO
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Company - The people I work with are the smartest people I have every worked with. The Work/Life balance in my office is great, and the benefits are great,

Cons

The benefits were better, but I have seen them slowly slipping away.

2128 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Worth your time

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Strong support of job mobility from project to project; leadership strives to keep you gainfully employed and working on billable projects, but the majority of the search is placed on the employee

Cons

In a transition from primarily defense contracting to a blend of commercial and defense contracting - add in the fact that defense budgets are being cut you end up with a challenging environment with confusion as to where the billable projects are

Not the same firm as it was even 5 years ago

Current Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The firm as a great reputation, it's built itself based on past performances and quality deliverables. There's more focus on "flexibility" with the concept of work-where-you-live in order to reduce commute times for employees. There is an abundance of networking opportunities, just take the initiative and sign yourself up. There are also lots of functional communities that you can join to learn more about a particular area within the firm, as well as personal interest communities (intramural sports, adventure clubs, etc.).

Cons

It's not the same as it was even 5 years ago. In speaking with other veteran employees (who have been/was with the firm for 5+ years), everyone has shared the same feelings. Since going public, Booz Allen has become less of a consulting company and more of another contracting company (just hiring people to fill a seat on a contract).

Times are tough and they've cut back on a lot of prior benefits like team outings, new laptops, raises, profit sharing (previous ~10% annually into your retirement fund, now switching to 6% matching), personal time off (we actually lost 2 days of time off when they switched our holiday schedule), general spending on administrative overhead.

Personal career growth is limited by leadership above you. Promotions are essentially dependent on if your project/market is growing and if you were part of that growth. If you're on a bad project in a contracting market, there's no business case to get you promoted to upper management (e.g., Lead Associate and above). Leadership also needs to give you the opportunity to demonstrate that you can operate at that next level - if you don't demonstrate it, you don't get the check mark on your annual assessment.

Speaking of assessment, the process is pretty subjective. Again, it all depends on who your senior managers are and whether they're willing to fight for your promotion in front of the assessment board. There are supposed to be competencies that you are assessed against, but with the new creative writing format, you can really stretch how you word your demonstrated competencies to fit the bucket. And again, that final assessment (written by your manager) is all dependent on your manager.

Be more transparent and be HONEST in your messaging to employees. With all the changes that have been rolled out in the last 3 years, employees have realized that "flexibility" now means "cutting costs" and improving "work/life balance" means "cutting costs because we align with federal holiday schedule" and "work where you live" means "hoteling or client site 100%." We all know it boils down to cutting costs - so just say so.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!