Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Good job and benefits...no challenge, limited growth

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits...health, profit sharing. Flexibility in schedules, work locations. IT well maintained. Growth if you have strong sponsorship from immediate team.

Cons

No growth unless sponsored directly regardless of network or work quality. Plug in mentality in staffing...just fill the space. Smart people doing menial work just to keep teams billable. Favoritism, nepotism, poorly qualified career managers. The consulting speak has moved inward more than ever before.

Wake up and realize most career managers are ineffective leading to poor professional growth outlook for most staff. With market changes, staff are terrified they will lose their jobs tomorrow and career managers care only for those they are grooming. Minimal opportunities to more than just bill hours....Minimal concern from above. But everyone says the right thing....repeat the mantra and all will be good.

2332 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

First, I would say EVERYONE's experience will be different depending on your team and your client. I am lucky enough to have both an excellent team and an excellent client. I can honestly say, I LOVE MY JOB! My work life is extremely flexible. The work that I am doing is very stimulating and I am surrounded by other PhD social scientists, so I am happy as a clam.

Cons

-The new structure for tracking your career can be overwhelming when you first join. If you have a good career manager, you'll be fine. If you don't have a good career manager, I recommend seeking help from colleagues.
    -The hiring process takes a VERY long time, I would be patient when dealing with this.
    -Other firms do offer more financial rewards (base and bonus structure), but given my work/life balance, I don't consider this much of a con.
    -I will say, that since I am on a client-site, I feel a bit disconnected from the BAH culture. Again, not sure if this is a con, but I can imagine it will hinder promotion.

I think a lot more needs to be done with the firmwide training (I thought it was awful and a waste of time, needs to be more interactive and actually deal with practical things such as filling out a time sheet). The benefits seem to be following the "cut" trend of other companies. I think this is a mistake considering the pay is much lower than other consulting firms.

It has been a great ride and hope it last for a while longer.

Current Employee - 0b04a0c4@opayq.com in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - 0b04a0c4@opayq.com in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Even with all the changes in the culture, it is still a very good place to work. I like the emphasis on ethics and innovation and creativity. There is strong support for developing your skills and abilities. Volunteerism is widely promoted.

Cons

The flow of information has changed from being pushed down the chain of command to the team members to a flood of information broadcast in such a high amount that finding valuable information about what is going on is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
    Very talented people are having a hard time finding positions before being let go because of the crappy person-to-position matching process.

Undercover Boss (include HR and RM)

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton