There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Good job and benefits...no challenge, limited growth

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits...health, profit sharing. Flexibility in schedules, work locations. IT well maintained. Growth if you have strong sponsorship from immediate team.

Cons

No growth unless sponsored directly regardless of network or work quality. Plug in mentality in staffing...just fill the space. Smart people doing menial work just to keep teams billable. Favoritism, nepotism, poorly qualified career managers. The consulting speak has moved inward more than ever before.

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize most career managers are ineffective leading to poor professional growth outlook for most staff. With market changes, staff are terrified they will lose their jobs tomorrow and career managers care only for those they are grooming. Minimal opportunities to more than just bill hours....Minimal concern from above. But everyone says the right thing....repeat the mantra and all will be good.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I worked at Booz Allen for 9 years.

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are among the best (fun and intelligent) in the government consulting industry. The pay and benefits are competitive, and there are opportunities to succeed.

Cons

After going public, costs are clearly being trimmed to stay competitive. The holiday party is no longer epic. Happy hours and free lunches are rare. Raises are smaller. Booz Allen is basically hundreds of small fiefdoms working together (and competing with each other as well as actual external competition). You're on your own (mostly) when your contract ends and it's time to find a new one.

Advice to Management

Place people in new contracts quickly. Have something lined up before the previous one ends and don't leave it up to the employee.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, I would say EVERYONE's experience will be different depending on your team and your client. I am lucky enough to have both an excellent team and an excellent client. I can honestly say, I LOVE MY JOB! My work life is extremely flexible. The work that I am doing is very stimulating and I am surrounded by other PhD social scientists, so I am happy as a clam.

Cons

-The new structure for tracking your career can be overwhelming when you first join. If you have a good career manager, you'll be fine. If you don't have a good career manager, I recommend seeking help from colleagues.
    -The hiring process takes a VERY long time, I would be patient when dealing with this.
    -Other firms do offer more financial rewards (base and bonus structure), but given my work/life balance, I don't consider this much of a con.
    -I will say, that since I am on a client-site, I feel a bit disconnected from the BAH culture. Again, not sure if this is a con, but I can imagine it will hinder promotion.

Advice to Management

I think a lot more needs to be done with the firmwide training (I thought it was awful and a waste of time, needs to be more interactive and actually deal with practical things such as filling out a time sheet). The benefits seem to be following the "cut" trend of other companies. I think this is a mistake considering the pay is much lower than other consulting firms.