There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Operated like the Government

Former Employee - Associate  in  McLean, VA
Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Brand name looks good on your resume (for now) and close proximity to Washington DC will ensure utilization targets are met by the employee.

Cons

I applied for the position on their website because I was working for another large firm in the commercial consulting sector where at the time with the slowing economy, I was going to be let go due to poor utilization percentages. Bottom line – my old employer was not selling work fast enough to keep folks off the bench and the writing was on the wall.

When I arrived for my first work day there must have been 100 others attending two separate new-hire orientation classes on the same day – clue: this place was a revolving door. Oh well, I am here now and it is a paycheck that I can be thankful for during my time of employment when the economy had just tanked on the commercial side for consulting. What a difference between night and day this place turned out to be. If you’re a commercial industry consultant, stay away from government consulting because you will hate it. Yes, it is true that one does put in more hours on the commercial side but it is well worth it compared to being treated like a contractor in a body shop where the client does not really want you there in the first place. One major problem is that the government is forced to outsource a small percentage of their business to firms such as Booz Allen due to lobbying and other politics. End result is that you will end up on a project where you’re told what to do by someone working for the government that can’t think outside the box and whose education is limited to high school.

As a result of having the government for 100% of their clientele, Booz Allen management operates very similar in nature (very stiff-necked supervisors and top-down management approach). Also, be aware, if you’re coming from a competitor firm in the commercial sector; get ready to give up your perks because there are none in this place (E.g. mileage, cell phone reimbursement, travel opportunities, bonuses, wi-fi cards, airport lounge memberships, business-class travel, all those points such as hotels and FF mileage, etc.) ALL GONE here! In short, make sure your getting a nice salary if you join this place because that is all you will receive. Nothing else but a bunch of bureaucracy, red tape, security cameras at every corner and a closed door management policy.

I worked for Booz Allen only 9 months and could not wait to get out of here as fast as possible. One final note, it takes them forever to conduct your background check so don’t be surprised to see them start poking around in your past 3 months into the job.

Have an open-door management policy and offer a competitive salary to your new-hires.

2127 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Review of Booz Allen Hamilton

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Interesting work. Diverse environment. Opportunities to work on variety of projects with different teams and clients. McLean location has an on-site child care facility, which is really convenient - a definite plus.

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive with the competitors in the marketplace. Work-life balance and extent of travel really varies depending on the project/client. They dont give much training when you join and you are expected to hit the ground running from day one.

Evaluate your compensation structure and its competitiveness in the marketplace. Provide more training to new employees who join the business.

Decent Place to work for, personally bad experience with the firm

Current Employee - Consultant I  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant I in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good Benefits Package, competitive salary, pretty good work-life balance compared to other employers. Depending on the project, your experience will vary.

Cons

Inability of management to place lower levels on projects, and lack of utilizing personnel and staff to the their fullest potential. Promotions and staffing highly dependent on who you know, all about networking.

Be more transparent on the firm's organization, and provide a more formal onboarding orientation process. Too much focus on certs and education without giving personnel hands on experience.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!