Booz Allen Hamilton

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Dulles, VA
Former Employee - Lead Associate in Dulles, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like the government consulting space, booz allen is the right place to do it. They provide a great culture, competitive pay, and are invested in the growth of their employees. One thing that always amazed me is how they were so nimble for such a large organization. There are umpteen opportunities to advance your career through internal and external learning.

Cons

The two biggest problems I saw were a) There is really no career path for non-BizDev folks b) Promotions aren't completely merit based. This gets frustrating in the long run. Also, as the company has grown, it's become less personal. There were several strategic changes that alienated the employees.

Considering that Booz Allen does have a huge technology professionals population, there needs to be a clearer path to growth for these folks. Not just a ribbon, real growth.

2283 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Overall Very Good Company!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is overall a very good balanced company. I really enjoy the very flexible time policies, which allow me to take 2 or 3 days off a month without taking vacation time. The company also was very generous during the government shutdown most, if not all employees still got paid. My experience has been its easy to move to different contracts and markets, which served me well as person young in their career. The company also have pretty good benefits.

Cons

Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance. The benefits are still good but much less. Working 100% on client site can make you feel disconnected from the firm at large. Promotion and upward mobility is very much dependent on your management chain, having a good management chain is awesome. A not so good management chain is a horrible experience. If you are young in your career and "under paid" getting a significant raise or market salary adjustment is difficult.

Think about the impact of implementing large scale organizational changes to quickly.

I worked at Booz Allen for 9 years.

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are among the best (fun and intelligent) in the government consulting industry. The pay and benefits are competitive, and there are opportunities to succeed.

Cons

After going public, costs are clearly being trimmed to stay competitive. The holiday party is no longer epic. Happy hours and free lunches are rare. Raises are smaller. Booz Allen is basically hundreds of small fiefdoms working together (and competing with each other as well as actual external competition). You're on your own (mostly) when your contract ends and it's time to find a new one.

Place people in new contracts quickly. Have something lined up before the previous one ends and don't leave it up to the employee.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton