Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
  www.boozallen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Less competitive pay, but flexibility goes a long way

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great values, benefits, training, and work-life balance - particularly if you firmly make it a priority. Many jobs require no travel. Some bright and wonderful people.

Cons

Less competitive salary for the industry, limited control over project assignments. Some dead weight on staff since there is not an "up or out" mentality.

Create a separate business development team for proposal work.

2245 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Over the course of 10 years I worked there things changed...

Current Employee - Associate in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Orange, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for really great Vice Presidents within Booz Allen. They cared deeply about their people. Took good care of them. For the most part that culture permeated down to directors and managers. For that portion of my career I got promoted and felt like I had good growth potential until the later part of my time there.

Cons

There were teams who's management did not care very much. As with any company the experience was dependent upon the managers. It's primarily a government contracting/consulting firm. The market was changing when I was there from a model where consulting thought leadership was appreciated by government clients to a staff augmentation model. Two very different markets. I've slowly seen really good people leave and move on to other great endeavors.

Smart people, but traditional and bureaucratic depending on your team alignment.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Booz Allen is a consulting firm that often inherits the culture and values of the clients they work for. So, depending on which clients and teams you are aligned to, you can expect vastly different experiences. The people are smart, and the culture is not as cutthroat as some other consulting firms, benefited by the longer projects and more stable timelines. It's definitely a great place for stability, but don't expect to be challenged, or receive the growth potential and appreciation that you might get with other firms.

Cons

The biggest problem currently is the bad market. It's doing fairly well at not losing values in the face of stiffer competition and less work, but the impact can be seen everywhere, from training reduction, to cuts on perks, to less flexibility and risk taking. There's also the problem of strategic hiring of individuals who don't fit the company culture or level of intelligence, but exist as managers because of their revolving door connections with the government.

Diversify your markets, and bring younger ideas to the leadership table.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton