Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
  www.boozallen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Solid company, good work/life balance, ok salaries

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working with everyone I have met in this company and that's what makes the job most enjoyable. Booz Allen is a solid company where you can switch careers but don't necessarily have to switch companies. They provide a lot of benefits such as 6% 401(k) matching, tuition reimbursement, parking fee reimbursement, etc. Booz Allen is very strong in its day-to-day operations activities. They have solid support from all of the commodity shops such as IT, HR, Accounting, etc., which allows employees to focus on their work and not getting paid on time, finding someone to fix their laptop, or getting quickly on-boarded to company policies. It's also a great place for military folks leaving the service and transitioning to a civilian career. Booz Allen primarily supports the Department of Defense and US Government, so military jargon and an understanding of military and government culture is desired. Also, since there are numerous veterans working at Booz Allen, it's a great place to find an immediate support group.

Cons

If you want to make the highest salary in the industry, don't work at Booz Allen. If you are looking for great mentors who will take you under their wing to show you the ropes, don't work at Booz Allen. Booz Allen requires its employees to be 100% proactive in managing their own careers. Booz Allen provides the resources and networking opportunities to be successful, but its on the employee to create their own success. Aside from the lack of mentorship, Booz Allen's culture since it has become publicly traded is to maximize shareholder value. Booz seems to have removed its concern for employees and put all emphasis on boosting the bottom line. This is frustrating as an employee because, as good as that is for the company as a whole, it sucks as an individual. All correspondence coming down from the higher ups details their actions as "good for the company" but anyone with any business sense can smell the accounting and finance tricks that are going on to keep the company financially healthy. Granted, it's a necessary evil, but it still makes me upset as an employee.

Bring back ECAP to compensate for the lower salaries, define a path to become a partner, and make that look more possible than it is now (2014). I've been advised by many higher level Booz Allen employees that making it to partner is nearly impossible and that I should look at smaller firms if I want to climb the ranks.

2243 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Used to be a good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I can really think of at this point is that I'm still bringing in a pay check. I guess that's something.

Cons

Ever since I started working for BAH, I have heard on a consistent basis "I'm sorry, we'd like to give you a bigger raise, but it's been a tough year".
    Now with the "new and improved" assessment process, nobody really even knows how raises are determined anymore.
    When I started working for BAH, each year an additional 10% of my salary was put into a retirement account. Now they've decided to do away with that, and the only way we can get the company to put a dime into our retirement accounts is to cut our pay. But with the HORRIBLE raises we've received the past few years, which barely keep up with inflation, who can really afford to do that?
    Management expects you to put hours of extra work into proposals, then you don't see ANY impact for that when it's to get your annual raise, due to a BS excuse. I've had enough.
    Career opportunities outside of DC are few and far between.
    Management seems to lose sight of the fact that people who work on the outer edges of the "DC Area" can't always easily travel to DC on a moment's notice, and certainly can't commute to DC for a different contract - especially since BAH refuses to provide additional pay to compensate for the extra travel expense.

As a company, BAH only has ONE source of income - its people. If you don't treat your people better, they're going to leave and find a better company. Management needs to get their act together and REWARD employees for doing good, and not make up BS excuses for not compensating them better.
    You've already lost me - I'm seeking employment elsewhere.

Project manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and salary. The access to resources is great because there is almost always someone at BAH that can do the job.

Cons

Little corporate on the reporting side. They love to have meetings and have weekly reports. They are classic report more than you work.

Let the local on site teams lead more change.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton