There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Still a Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent Work/Life balance.
Benefits are very good.
Career advancement is clearly defined.
Up to $5,000/year in training allowance.

Cons

May need to relocate to find a new project, that is the nature of contracting work.
After 30-years they have done away with their 10% bonus plan. Now it is a 401k with matching up to 6%.

Pay more attention to offices outside the DC area.

2135 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Not the company that recruited me

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My current management team allows me to be extremely flexible. I am part of a small client site team, which is preferable to the larger client based team I came from. My current client is amazing. Your client determines much of your happiness at this company. If you can find the time and receive approval from your management they do offer a lot of training. Everyone I've met as Booz Allen has been very nice. The health care benefits are great compared to many other companies in the DC area.

Cons

While nice, most people, especially management won't go out of their way for you. You are entirely responsible for remaining billable and seeking billable work, which can make the environment very cut throat. Overtime is expected all the time, not occasionally. The "work hard, play hard" mentality of rewarding hard working employees is long gone. Raises are contingent upon if your client agrees to the increase. The ability to occasionally work from home - for me - has never become the reality. My last contract did not allow for a good work-life balance, the client was awful, and I was pressured to not find a position more in line with my qualifications because they didn't want to have to find a replacement. I wasn't allowed to truly consult and provide recommendations or improve the processes I was hired to do so. Every time corporate takes away another benefit they try to "sell" the employees on how great it is to be more "aligned" to the rest of the industry. When I joined the company they had consistently been on the top 100 companies to work for. Not so anymore.

Value your employees. Many of us joined because you were better than the rest of the industry. The quality of your staff is decreasing as you decrease benefits and employee appreciation. Provide the job security, benefits, and flexibility you "assured" those that you hired you valued. Respect employees and our intelligence; quit trying to "sell" us on the changes - just tell us the truth and treat as us the adults we all are.

Happiness quotient depends on client.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The salary and benefits are great. Management is stellar.

Cons

Without a doubt, firm culture. Timesheets, Travel Expenses, Annual Review, other corporate style policies.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!