There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

The experience has been good.

Current Employee - Consultant in Charleston, SC
Current Employee - Consultant in Charleston, SC

Pros

Good work environment. They really look for the best employees. The company also has very good tuition reimbursment policies. Good company overall.

Cons

A good deal of internal career development time required. You will also spend a lot of time doing self assessments and participating in brown bags.

Advice to Management

Make the assessment process a little easier. Spending 10 hours doing a self assessment is ridiculous. If consultants get paid overtime, pay them overtime.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Nice, very smart people. Overly political. Very different work experiences depending on your partner and work location

Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

Pros

Compensation is above average Learning is encouraged Pushs you to expand your knowledge Hard work equals promotion if you're visible to upper management

Cons

Very territorial, teams compete for work internally Hard work can equal nothing if you're not visible to upper management which is becoming more of a possibility as staff move away from company site work to client site work (now the majority) Feedback on 360 reviews can be too gentle since everyone reviews each other. As a result, low performers can stick around too long

Advice to Management

Culture must change now that most work is taking place at client locations.

Very solid company with minor flaws, hope that going public won't change much but fear it will.

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in McLean, VA

Pros

The firm has a very good reputation in the industry. From what I've been told (and not by people within the firm), having the BAH name on your resume makes you extremely marketable to other companies. As others have stated, much of your experience at BAH will be dictated by what team/manager you're assigned to, but I fell like that could be the case with any company you work for. Fortunately I'm on a solid team with excellent management, with a few exceptions (discussed further in cons). My compensation is very fair and I have been recognized through rewards when my work has deserved it. My career has progressed at a very fair pace, and I'm happy with my current opportunities for growth.

Cons

Sometimes leadership makes you feel as though the bottom line is all important, even if it means it negatively effects those working on client site. Although it has gotten better, most of their IT systems are built for access within the firewall, and trying to get access to certain systems from home or client site are extremely difficult or altogether impossible. The assessment processes, despite getting updated every year, is very flawed in my opinion. They're very proud of the 360-degree assessment process, but I feel as though clients see it as a hassle to provide input regarding specific employee competencies as opposed to general statement regarding employee performance.

Advice to Management

Keep your word and keep Booz Allen as it was before we went public.