A Place To Be Missed

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Borders

Pros

The People. The product. The customers.

Cons

Could be stressful at times due to the uncertainty of the compaies fate.

Advice to Management

Wish they could have saved her.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Generally great coworkers but Borders always had stupid decisions from HQ

Former Employee - Inventory Processing Team in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Inventory Processing Team in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Borders

Pros

You can't. They went under. Don't get me wrong. Some days I hated my job but in general I liked it. I enjoy sorting things and I like helping people when I can. Mostly it was the people I worked with that made it worthwhile. It was a more laid back atmosphere overall and my coworkers were a lot of fun. Many of the managers and supervisors were personable and easy to talk to.

Cons

They don't exist any more, so it doesn't really matter. I suppose the pay wasn't too great, at least on my end. By the time the store closed, i only made 50 cents more than the current minimum wage. Not to mention, towards the end they started to focus more on driving sales. For me that was annoying, particularly when they wanted to promote something specific. It was actually kind of sad to see what had been a promoted book a couple of months ago end up as a bargain item because they tried boosting the demand beyond what the demand actually was. There was also a fair amount of turnover in the Store Managers.

Advice to Management

That depends on what you mean. There was only ever one manager at the store I couldn't stand and he was fired after about a year anyway. I tend to get along fine with anyone, even if not perfectly so, but he was something of a control freak who wouldn't get his hands dirty with grunt work, even though pretty much every other manager was willing to help out on the floor with customers.

On the whole, I blame HQ which made lots of clueless decisions leading to their eventual downfall. The last CEO or two might have been all right, I don't know, but I do know they shot themselves in the foot for years with bad policies, sloppy paperwork, and a lack of focus on the future. They always seemed to be behind the competition and breaking up their previous partnership with Amazon didn't help them any.

2. Borders review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Borders

Pros

Was a good place to work if you liked books. Store operations area was stressful. Enjoyed the travel related to the job.

Cons

Company went under, very disapointing. I would like have stayed longer. Management tried way too many different concepts to make it work

Advice to Management

They should have gotten an internet presence sooner. Too much focus on building large stores. Shouls have stuck with core business.