Borders
www.bordersgroupinc.com Ann Arbor, MI 5000+ Employees

Once a strong company; run into ground by MBA culture

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Borders

ProsFor many years, the company culture was reasonably progressive and fair-minded, if somewhat lax. There was room for advancement within, procedures weren't overly rigid, and the depth of our product inventory was a distinct competitive advantage. Had these advantages been managed properly, Borders would likely be the dominant player in this admittedly highly-competitive retail segment.

ConsThe book-centric, service-centric, innovative tendencies of the company gave way to careerism, regimentation, a devotion to spin over reality, management fads, and a variety of other ills as the company expanded and management became dominated by MBAs. By the end, the company had evolved into a self-destructive parody of its former self, run by people who knew and cared little about their product, their clientele, or their employees. A scary cautionary tale of what can go wrong in a corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven enlightened and capable management would have had a difficult time succeeding in this business. The revolving-door management of this company was consistently and dramatically not up to the task. Advice to them: too late now; the company is dead. Tens of thousands of jobs were lost on their watch. However much they may blame impersonal forces -- internet competition, the recession, etc,etc -- much of the responsibility lies squarely upon them and the board of directors who put them in place. In the future, please, unlearn virtually everything you think you've learned about business. Whatever your impulses dictate: chances are, the opposite is a better course. Above all, remember: spin does not equal reality.

Too big to not fail

Bookseller (Former Employee)

I worked at Borders

Pros: Borders was a great place to work most of the time. My… Cons: Management from the top on down were uni formally terrible. Not only did they sell away their online business to Amazon around 2000, dooming… Advice to Senior Management: A bookstore is meant to be a bookstore, but a bookstore needs to turn a profit, too. Any bookstore… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

It's where I was meant to be.

Merchandising Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Borders

Pros: A great place to work, retail yet intelligent retail. 90%… Cons: As company began it's downward spiral...not enough payroll hours for… Advice to Senior Management: Stick with books!! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Borders.

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Borders reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Borders CEO Michael J. Edwards. All reviews posted anonymously by Borders employees.