Borders

www.bordersgroupinc.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Borders

Very good while in college

Former Employee - Bookseller in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Bookseller in Fremont, CA

I worked at Borders

Pros

Borders was a really good, stress free job for me during college. I never brought any work home, and mostly it was like hanging out and sometimes you also got so solve mysteries for people. At the time while I was in school and didn't have to support myself it was a fair salary, although now years later it would've seemed impossible to live off. At least as a part-time position. I was never seeking out a career with them so it worked well. Was an original employee of a new store, and getting it ready for opening was fun, and we were well trained for it.

Cons

Regular "customers" treated the place like a library and wouldn't put books back in their place. Some days and weeks the store got messed up much faster than you could put it all back.

I liked it when we had a community staff member in charge of events and things locally. Ours got replaced with someone less skilled and less friendly based in another store, then I don't even know what happened to that position. We also were given these beyond realistic targets that our store never came close to reaching in its existence. They always seemed to be a joke, and short of increased local advertising there wasn't anything really our store could've done to increase sales. I also think our general store managers boss only came to the store maybe twice in two years mostly early on. Never saw any other didt from outside of our store come to the store.

459 Other Employee Reviews for Borders (View Most Recent)

not bad but not the best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Borders

Pros

working around books is great because its something i love. somewhat flexible hours. cool people to work with as well

Cons

some snotty customers. some annoying people to work with. poor upper management and sometimes dealing with bad attitudes which is unpleasant

listen to the employee complaints better. do your job instead of having all the people under you do it for you

It was fun while it lasted!!

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Technician in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Technician in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Borders

Pros

My manager and fellow team members were very positive and supportive. The work was challenging enough to keep it interesting yet not overbearing. Variety!! Great and diverse workforce.

Cons

The commute was absolutely horrible.

There are newer employer reviews for Borders