Borders

www.bordersgroupinc.com
  www.bordersgroupinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Borders

Borders, a great place for the curious individual.

Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in South Portland, ME
Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Borders

Pros

Set schedule no surprise shifts!. The knowledge base of all the employee's is vast and diverse, it's always fun to learn new things. Great discounts for employees.

Cons

the store is to far from my home..but i guess that's not really a downside. All in all it's a good place to work the people are nice and my co-workers always lend hands when i need them. maybe the downside is pay isn't phenomenal.

Keep on being open and reliable. You have all been where i am before just starting out and trying not to get to much wrong.. just keep the communication flowing and everything will work itself out.

448 Other Employee Reviews for Borders (View Most Recent)

A safe haven well-handled by George Jones during tempestuous times, but with issues.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Borders

Pros

Relaxed environment, understanding management. I have never felt like I have been looked down on or threatened while balancing work, family and school. My managers know what level of commitment I can give to work, and it makes me want to give them back my full attention at work- there is not a lot of complaining or back stabbing at work.

Cons

The management is not made up of the most intelligent people- most booksellers are students and have already had more education than the managers, and the managers can be a bit paranoid or threatened and respond by saying stupid things. I can't count how many times I have heard managers shoot down good observations or ideas by employees for seemingly no reason. This doesn't offend to much, however, because most employees who would be targets aren't invested enough to get into anything and the "lifers" are in line with management.

I think George Jones is doing a fine job- it was frightening at first to see so many overhauls in the system, but it has resulted in a leaner, smarter workforce empowered to do many of the little things that used to take lines of management approval.

It's amazing how much can go downhill in 5 years

Current Employee - Training Supervisor in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Training Supervisor in Troy, MI

I have been working at Borders

Pros

Free book loans, flexible scheduling, interesting characters to work with.

Cons

Payroll hours make the floor desperately understaffed. Management, DM and above, seem to be clueless as to how hard it is to run the store day to day. The only way that employees will get fired is if they steal from the store, despite how useless and rude they may be. The wages are horrible even if you have seniority. Borders Search 2.0 is horrific.

Stop expecting the stores to have excellent CSI, Comps, BR Numbers, Sales, and morale when there are only three people on the floor most times. And in general, get your act together and start supporting the stores.

There are newer employer reviews for Borders