Borders

There are newer employer reviews for Borders

Closed for good

Current Employee - Bookseller in Monroeville, PA
Current Employee - Bookseller in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Borders part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Because the company was closing, I was able to have a lot of flexibility with my schedule and my hours.

Cons

It is a good thing that Borders closed it's doors for good. The company was falling apart from the executives down to the management.

448 Other Employee Reviews for Borders (View Most Recent)

Meh, it was a job.

Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Evansville, IN

I worked at Borders part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, free books, good people. I found a few great book series while I was working there, but the discount was laughable.

Cons

management never got their act together. We spent the entire 3 years I was there waiting for them to order Seattle's best Shirts for the Cafe. I never got a raise except when minimum wage went up. We were constantly told to push books we knew nothing about.

Your closed now. What can I say?

Overly corporate - the environment can be alright, but the undertones are always that you could be selling more.

Former Employee - Paperchase Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Paperchase Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Borders part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My managers were all decent, and when you worked in Paperchase you had a fair amount of freedom. The work was decently amusing - consisting of receiving and stocking the colorful non-book items to code, kind of like a pointless video game.

Cons

The tracking numbers for selling borders rewards cards were stressful to both employees and customers (who didn't want the cards and disliked being asked to buy them over and over). The management had a tendency to look at our stores #2 in the region position and ask, "why aren't you working harder? We could have been #1." Borders kept around 40 employees on Part-Time status to avoid giving their employees benefits. They only had two full time positions at our store other than management, and those people were not given very good benefits either. Oh, and Borders corporate made it clear that they thought employees were lying thieves. We had to be checked for stolen merchandise every time we left the store, and cafe employees couldn't even drink a free cup of drip coffee on break (costs the store 1 cent per ounce).

Value your employees as people more. People do better work when they are supported and feel like the company values them. There is very little likelihood that an employee treated like an evil thief is going to feel much loyalty to you, and employees and managers alike know that customers don't like being badgered to buy a $20 card, an extra pastry, oh and make that coffee a large when they're just trying to get a small cup of drip coffee before work, so stop making everyone live through that.

There are newer employer reviews for Borders