Not A Smart Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Borders

Pros

Good Health Insurance (If you are FT), not worth it if you are PT
Great Friendly People
Flexible Work Schedule
Selling excellent product

Cons

Going Bankrupt because corporate can't figure out how to run a company
too much high skilled work for low pay
Constant Layoffs
No raises for 3 years
Low payroll hours
Relatively a really low class company

Advice to Management

End the suffering file chapter 7 because I really don't think you will be able to pull off the restructuring of a chapter 11 as the execs are not that bright.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Instability at senior management level resulted in conflicting business visions and confusion within middle management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Borders

Pros

A great place for those who truely love one on one interactions with customers, very rewarding personally and a great place for relationship building.

Cons

A very uncertain future. Perhaps when the company is right sized and has a better mix of product lines and event-focused stores, maybe the light at the end of the tunnell won't turn out to be a freight train.

Advice to Management

Every individual store needs to be focussed on its own bottom line. Forget about all the other scoreboard, balanced scorecards, matrix results etc. Every DM should be taught and then teach how to manage to the bottom line. P&L should be the only report you are measured against. This is so basic that I don't understand how you all missed it.

2. My experience at Borders was very enjoyable, with a great staff and supportive management.

Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Borders

Pros

If you are a bibliophile, music lover, and enjoy coffee, Borders is a pretty ideal place to work. I enjoyed being exposed to all the new material, as well as being able to share my recommendations based on the customer's feedback.

Cons

Borders has become too corporate over the years. This company pushes employees to push titles on customers to create instant bestsellers. I understand they are a company trying to make a profit, but it is really annoying. Also, the stores I have worked at in recent years are often understaffed, which can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to chill out and relate better to their employees' needs.