Boston Consulting Group
www.bcg.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

You get out of it what you put in - but you can become a dramatically better version of yourself here.

Associate (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

Pros1. Career opportunities
Starting at BCG, so many doors open to you, it's crazy. Head-hunting emails every other week. Relationships with clients, from the C-suite to analysts. People leaving to do everything from joining PE firms to corporate clients to non-profits at senior levels.

2. Affiliation
Less than two years in, I already feel about as close to some of the Associates in my starting class as a lot of my friends from college that I've known for years. And you'll get to know the principals and partners really well as well - from joking around at team meetings, trash talking over college sports, or sitting around with beers at happy hours. Additionally, holiday parties, retreats, and other occasional events are a lot of fun to attend and just mix with the people at the office. BCG is growing very fast and the partners are committed to keeping it feeling as close-knit as possible.

3. Work that makes a difference - most of the time
Yes, there will be instances where you have to do somewhat dry work. But with the rare exception, managers make sure you're putting in work that's serving a purpose, not just being fed into a black hole. Clients may not always take our advice, but you can bet that both you and the people you work with will constantly demonstrate a culture that is committed to bettering the client. And people will always sound smarter than you, no matter how smart you may be. That's a great environment that always ups your game instead of letting you rust.

4. Pay
From anecdotal evidence, BCG is constantly at or near the top for each tier in pay. The PSRF adds a solid chunk to your retirement fund, and the bonus process is very transparent.

5. The health benefits
BCG pays for every penny of your premium and the benefits are phenomenal. My recent surgery cost $5. While this may seem small in and of itself, it's indicative of the general culture.

6. *People care*
This is manifested in some of the earlier points I've made, but at every step along the way, it's obvious that managers, partners, staff, even office heads go out of their way to make life better for its employees. The atmosphere is fair and transparent, especially considering that it's a private company. Honestly, I think this is the most important facet that sets BCG apart. You won't feel it unless you've gotten to know the people. And that's why, as cliched as it may sound at recruiting presentations, 'the people' is the most important aspect of where you work.

ConsYes, you'll have to average more than 50 hours a week. It varies from office to office, across managers and projects. But most managers will try to be as accommodating as possible for personal commitments, vacation days, making sure you have a life outside of work and that you don't burn out.

Excellent place to work that values you and your contributions

Lead Researcher (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group

Pros: Meritocracy Consulting staff works well with administrative staff Exciting work Makes a difference Does… Cons: No problems from where I stand Advice to Senior Management: Great job based on my experience Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good experience, trade-offs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Consulting Group

Pros: Prestige, access, solving critical problems for some of the world's largest companies.… Cons: Often only working on large scale projects, often ended up working on the… Advice to Senior Management: Overall, great value delivered to the client, which is the key to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Boston Consulting Group.

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boston Consulting Group CEO Rich Lesser. All reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees.