Surprisingly still relevant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some of the groups are internally very loyal, even sometimes a bit cliquish. - Good discount for rotisserie chicken lovers - A mission that is easy to dedicate oneself to - ironic that the mission statement is vague and ridiculous. - Simple format increases ability for business to expand

Cons

- The politics in middle management are brutal. Though typical for this industry, it isn't anything to be proud about. - Though necessary for this business, cost cutting keeps opportunity and growth in check The culture has changed in the last couple years and a great deal of the charm has been lost.

Advice to Management

Do more than sit on your ass and expand into the premium markets that have been back burnered since forever.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Love the brand, dislike the corporate management

Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Boston Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Sense of pride in the product, mostly healthy food, great presentation -High standards for quality, service and cleanliness -Easy job for most positions, even management -Most stores have down time -Employee discount 50% anything under $10, manager discount is $10 free food. -Easy hours to work, flexible hours, management willing to work with schedules -Easy to please upset customers, easy to confront lying customers (TLOG system ftw!) -Uniform isn't super tacky. -Menu is easy to learn -Crew functions are easy to accomplish

Cons

-Improper training at every level -Constant sense of job insecurity due to high standards, some seemingly impossible -Management has to use a poor computer system called WebBost, it just is buggy, outdated, slow and the search function is terrible and disorganized and the maps are Bing, enough said. -The forecast system seems wonky so managers load too much or not enough proteins and then they are blamed for either not following the system to a "T" or not using their own good judgment (thereby not following the system to a "T") -Insufficient promotions. Not enough TV spots, radio ads, billboards, etc. -Management is blamed for low sales but has nothing to do with advertisement... we can keep our current customers, and VIPs rarely bring in new customers. Word of mouth is all we have to go on. -Strict budget causes some low staffing issues, causes us to run out of products in store, or even paper items like plates or drinks. Some stores in constant states of disrepair or lacking valuable assets like utility carts or extra chicken spits, etc. -Poor and incomplete training routines... they have a title called "Certified Trainer" and there is a Certified Training program... with dust all over it, because it's never utilized! It would cost too many hours to properly train a person, so basically everyone is taught on the go, by other poorly trained employees, not even the managers! -Low wages, employees are paid just above min. wage, and Hourly Managers are paid about 10/hr with no benefits except you can earn paid vacation time (up to 40hrs a year) -Area Managers and up seem very out of touch with the functions inside a restaurant. They are aware of policy and don't seem very competent at expressing how to achieve goals, only that you must do it or you are fired. -They lack planning abilities, training abilities, and proper acknowledgment of excellence. -They allow their stores to look run down to save maintenance money. -Some crews are so poorly trained, and lazy. Favoritism is apparent. -Poorly trained crews and lazy managers let the dining rooms get messy and bathrooms are rarely if ever checked. -Management allows the Food Safety Daily Checklist to be faked quite often. -No one gets raises.

Advice to Management

-Spend the time and hours actually training people properly. Make new people sit through videos, actually complete validations without cheating. Two shifts with supervision is not enough at all. One week minimum for all positions. No shortcuts should be allowed to be taught. 100% QSC standard training. -Use write ups once in a while. Enforce standards every day, to every employee. Not just the ones you don't like. -Stop keeping old employees who won't learn new standards. Keeping smartasses, people who don't show up for work, or people who fail at their jobs, continues a cycle of bad employees. Make the example that we fire bad workers, and you'll have better workers. -If you want a task complete, you'd better know step by step how to complete the task yourself. You can't tell your managers to fix chicken variances if you have no clue what's causing it. You can't tell your managers to fix labor SG if you have no idea why it's so high. You can't blame managers for low sales if you have no idea how to increase sales. You need to come up with detailed plans on how to attack problems and follow up constantly. You need to pay your managers better. Get rid of the current employee evaluation system. It's a scam. It ensures no one at all is rated high enough to get a raise. Destroy that system. Build a new one. Give people due raises. Give people due promotions. Stop promoting people who are already bad at their jobs.

Decent Company to work for.

I have been working at Boston Market

Pros

Free meals as a manager, people that I work with or who work for me are decent. Low turnover at our location. Business has picked up at my location over the last year, which is always good.

Cons

-Short staffed sometimes. Even as a manager, during the day I'm literally doing 3 different jobs. - No garbage cans in dining room. While I don't mind cleaning the tables,sometimes you can't get to it right away because you have your hands time. -Having to mention promotions to regular customers every single time they come in. Company policy pretty much and I wouldn't like it if I got told about something every time I walked in.

Advice to Management

-More consistent and smaller menu. I feel that we too often remove items that customers love. -Corporate should be in better contact with stores on all measures. I have never met anyone above my area manager and I have been with the company for over 2 years. - Less hassling of our customers. While I want our customers to try new things, they shouldn't feel like their dealing with a car salesman.