Too Bad its closing

Former Employee - Quality Engineer  in  Doral, FL
Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Doral, FL

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

Good place to work and develop
Good systems in place to drive lean production
Good Quality Systems and principle based manufacturing

Cons

Looking to shrink on cost structure far more than increasing sales
Divesting Miami site to Costa Rica
Laid off all Miami employees effective 2012

In general management was very engaged in the day to day and operated professionally. There are always sour grapes with a particular manager but we all have those -- its important to keep perspective; if the plant were still open many people would have worked there for a long time, even for life.

Other Reviews for Boston Scientific

It's been a roller coaster of building and improving followed by focus on cost reductions, RIFs, and outsourcing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Boston Scientific

Pros

The corporate makes a lot of good products that make an important difference in the quality of patient lives. The simple mission statement: " I improve the quality of patient care and all things Boston Scientific."

Cons

Debt maintenance from past acquisitions (purchasing of Guidant at all costs) with its long term impact on business performance as well as the resulting preoccupation with cost reductions. Willingness to eliminate/outsource QA jobs after the FDA Corporate warning letter was lifted. Increased outsourcing of US jobs.

Don't forget that the patient comes first in the mission statement as you concentrate on cost cutting by eliminating and outsourcing US jobs to improve margins.

Boston Scientific is more committed to its shareholders than to its employees and customers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

Boston Scientific is engaged in bringing innovative medical products to market. They have been a leader in the areas of stent production and heart rhythm devices (defibrillators and pacemakers). This means that the work you do as a member of the company directly improves the lives of individuals. The annual Quality Day event showcases specific patients and their families in a way that brought tears to my eyes every time I saw how the technologies I worked on helped people in very tangible ways.

Cons

Boston Scientific has become increasingly focused on cost reduction through outsourcing key functions (IT, R&D, manufacturing). This has resulted in a series of layoffs over the past 4 years. The result has been devastating to both the people laid off and the people remaining behind as the survivors have seen workloads increase and financial resources shrink.

Remember the roots of the Guidant culture -- strong customer focus, strong focus on employee satisfaction, strong focus on innovative products. Those are the three legs that built the Guidant workforce that Boston Scientific acquired.

There are newer employer reviews for Boston Scientific.

Worked for Boston Scientific? Contribute to the Community!