Boston Scientific

Outsourcing is a symptom

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

Knowing that you are directly or indirectly helping very sick people. Providing tools for brilliant doctors to work magic.

Cons

This is a hyper political company whose culture was changed over night by the FDA warning letter. There is a real fear of changing anything in case the change doesn't work out. Nobody wants to make a decision so the company has become paralized with fear. The reason that most functions were outsourced to India and China was because they couldn't work well in BSC. There is very little cost savings. As bad as outsourcing to Asia is, it's still better than what BSC could do on their own. Why else would they get rid of so many good workers? (Full disclosure - I left on my own for a better job and was not whacked in the RIF).

Unless the Board has decided to sell the company (which they may have) , sr. management needs to energize the workforce to take chances, be proactive, try new things, re-invent, be creative, and be leaders - not scared sheep.

458 Other Employee Reviews for Boston Scientific (View Most Recent)

Boston Scientific is a good place to work

Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

BSC was a company that seemed to respect it's employees, seemed to be very flexible about accommodating my family's schedule, and had a very friendly atmosphere.

Cons

During my time at BSC, it seemed like there was a lot of miscommunication and/or lack of communication when projects involved more than one department. This would result in a lot of unneeded anxiety, stress, and after-hours work.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boston Scientific

Pros

BSC makes compelling products, and management is pretty forward thinking of late about using the best technology possible. I've had great options for career advancement and feel like I'm part of a solid team.

Cons

It's a very large company - this is both a blessing and a curse. There have been movements to use offshore teams more in the last 4 years.

Less VPs, more engineers. Follow the Apple model and put your money into engineering better products rather than employing more VPs.

There are newer employer reviews for Boston Scientific