Outsourcing is a symptom

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

Knowing that you are directly or indirectly helping very sick people. Providing tools for brilliant doctors to work magic.

Cons

This is a hyper political company whose culture was changed over night by the FDA warning letter. There is a real fear of changing anything in case the change doesn't work out. Nobody wants to make a decision so the company has become paralized with fear. The reason that most functions were outsourced to India and China was because they couldn't work well in BSC. There is very little cost savings. As bad as outsourcing to Asia is, it's still better than what BSC could do on their own. Why else would they get rid of so many good workers? (Full disclosure - I left on my own for a better job and was not whacked in the RIF).

Advice to Management

Unless the Board has decided to sell the company (which they may have) , sr. management needs to energize the workforce to take chances, be proactive, try new things, re-invent, be creative, and be leaders - not scared sheep.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Get the experience you need and move on.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Boston Scientific

Pros

Very competitive benefits, onsite learning opportunities, certain departments hire from within, they take chances on new college graduates, great education reimbursement, some flexible working schedules (depends on what department you are in)

Cons

In less than 3 years of my career there have been multiple layoffs and rumors of future layoffs and outsourcing. Typical corporate atmosphere where their best solution to the political and economic climate is to layoff and/or outsource while senior leadership makes millions in compensation (CEO compensation is a matter of public record. Look it up). There was a major discrepancy in workload for my department, and noticeable favoritism. People who continued to slack off experienced no apparent repercussions while those who worked efficiently were rewarded with more work. Those who carry the workload do so to the point of exhaustion and frustration, with no end in site. The culture is reactive versus proactive. Due to the size of the company, any changes made have to go through so much bureaucratic red tape that by the time the changes comes, nobody can remember the point. Collectively, this all has resulted in a loss of top talent to other companies.

Advice to Management

Gather employee input when making changes to processes. The people "on the ground" have the most knowledge on the actual ins and outs of their department. Leaving the planning of major changes to "corporate" where they have no idea of how their changes actually impact the employees will only serve to further decrease morale.

Get with the times and get creative. Don't be such a typical corporation. Do something different. There are so many other ways to cut costs. Just ask your employees and I'm sure they could give you an earful. Allowing more telecommuting and flexible work schedules would be a good start.

Don't continue to ask the employees to make due with less, while there is no apparent suffering at the top. If we make due with less, than so should our leadership.

Do more to retain talent within the company. Reward those who consistently excel in their role. Don't continue to push along those who continue to be a drain to departments.

2. Too Bad its closing

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Doral, FL

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

Good place to work and develop
    Good systems in place to drive lean production
    Good Quality Systems and principle based manufacturing

Cons

Looking to shrink on cost structure far more than increasing sales
    Divesting Miami site to Costa Rica
    Laid off all Miami employees effective 2012

Advice to Management

In general management was very engaged in the day to day and operated professionally. There are always sour grapes with a particular manager but we all have those -- its important to keep perspective; if the plant were still open many people would have worked there for a long time, even for life.