Box

www.box.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Box

A place to both grow your skills and leave an impact

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At Box you never find a shortage of things to work on. You can continue to grow your skills and expertise by tackling new and different problems more than you can at most other places. In addition, the people you work with are some of the best and from a wide variety of backgrounds. This means you even learn by listening.

And since Box is still a young company with problems and situations that are still unsolved, you can use the skills you learned here or elsewhere and leave a mark on the company. Something you work on will very likely be lying the foundation for future engineers and users. It's up to you to leverage that.

The compensation is pretty darn competitive for the area.

Cons

The compensation could be higher and internal mobility isn't exactly where it needs to be (they are working on it to their credit). And sometimes the opportunities you get means that you will be working some late hours. I've made it a goal to at least leave when there's sunlight at least twice a week. And as expected with a startup mentality, there's a bit of engineers being oncall which can sometimes lead to annoying weekends.

Start promoting internally.

106 Other Employee Reviews for Box (View Most Recent)

I look forward to coming to work everyday - even with a commute from SF

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are 'All Stars'. They are passionate with a history of success - Success in life, work, and outside activities. It is very motivating to work with people like this.

Box as a growing company continues to offer new opportunities to all Boxers. There is constant change, and it is invigorating to look back and see where we were a year ago and where we are today.

Box's Women's Network has strong executive support, and it's awesome to see such a strong female voice in a tech company.

Mentors are readily found outside of the immediate team. Boxers have been awesome about grabbing a cup of coffee to discuss career options, give insight into what their role is like etc. It is really neat the amount of transparency people are willing to give on their day-to-day job.

Cons

We are exiting our start-up phase and maturing into a enterprise company. Needed infrastructure to support our scaling company has created growing pains, but the overall process has been a huge learning opportunity.

Not as exciting or fun as it was in early "startup" years

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Box full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Close to IPO. Free food. Very young and hip atmosphere if you're just out of college. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Culture is not much fun if you happen to get stuck working closely with the founders inner circle in the engineering organization. They're not very good and tend to be an odd combination of autocratic and randomizing so you feel like you're being micro-managed and dumbed down when working with them. Work life balance is not very good compared with other similar stage companies. Building is already packed to capacity (they moved in just over year ago.) Company has big bias toward hiring young out of college.

Get more experienced people in the company and better managers who are much good at leading teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Box