There are newer employer reviews for Boy Scouts of America

BSA

Former Employee - Program Director
Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Program, Great mission, great volunteers

Cons

Long hours, Autocratic leadeship, uninvolved HR department between national and local levels

224 Other Employee Reviews for Boy Scouts of America (View Most Recent)

Camp Hinds

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Tremendous work environment. Great people, everyone is very positive. Beautiful setting, one of my favorite places in the world. Room and board are provided. The best place that I have worked.

Cons

Low pay. It is a wonderful place to be, which more than offsets the low pay.
    There is also some shortage of supplies and equipment for carrying out the program.

Maintain the wonderful environment and invest more money in supplies and equipment.

Non-profit with lots of potential, but lead by the ultra-religious right when it should focus on civic issues.

Former Employee - District Executive
    Former Employee - District Executive

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Developing strong community ties
    working with some of the top people in your city/area, but it's up to you as a professional
    good benefits
    sometimes, car is provided
    national growth possibilities

Cons

Poor management, old school and closed to new ideas. Hopefully new CEO will work on that, great guy.
    keeping up with technology is a challenge - some of my coworkers could hardly use a computer...
    Most of my coworkers had very narrow views and considered the BSA as an organization exclusively for white people - thank goodness they were a small minority. They should not work there them good ol' boys...
    working with and through volunteers can be a blessing or a curse.
    the age-old issues of rejecting gays, atheists and agnostics, and on a smaller scale, lack of knowledge of the American market - research is opinion based, not fact based.

make sure management picks talented people, and make sure they help them stick around - too many great people full with ideas get discouraged by a 50's style management team just waiting to get out of their positions in order to move to new ones. Allow free flow of ideas from professionals, not just volunteers.

There are newer employer reviews for Boy Scouts of America