Boy Scouts of America

www.scouting.org
  www.scouting.org
There are newer employer reviews for Boy Scouts of America

It was truly a fantastic experience

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people
Teaches life skills
creates leaders

Cons

As far as I can see there are really no problems worth mentioning if any at all.

Keep up the good work

242 Other Employee Reviews for Boy Scouts of America (View Most Recent)

Great entry level position for a second career, with room to grow

Current Employee - District Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - District Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

* Very social job, you are always able to interact and work with volunteers.
    *Hours - The hours are super flexible (at my council at least, it varies nationwide), as I was told when I first interviewed "A good DE works 20-30 hours a week, a bad one can be working 60-80 hours. It is not about how hard you work yourself, but how you can find the right volunteers for who enjoy their positions, train them, support them, and keep them happy so that they uphold our organization and you just lead and direct."
    *Volunteers - This is a volunteer led, professionally supported, organization, meaning that our volunteers are people who want to be here, and do so out of the kindness of their hearts, so that we can do better for our youth. It is great to be surrounded by that positivity.
    *Pay - The pay is great for the non-profit sector, and in general for most people my age.
    *Creativity - you manage your own district, are in charge of finances, community relations, growth, volunteer training and management, and more. There is no single right way to meet your goals, so you are free to try new things and experiment a bit.
    *Growth - you will be sent to trainings annually, about a week long each. This is meant to help you with learning how to do this position, how to grow in the organization, and how to become top level management.

Cons

* Skills - This position will be extremely difficult if you: cannot do public speaking, have no sale/management experience, cannot work odd hours (meetings with volunteers are in evenings since they have day jobs), are not creative, or lack people skills.
    * Computer system - Our computer system is ancient, barely a level over D.O.S. This job would be so much easier if youth and adult applications could be done completely online, is we could pull up reports in one quick and easy system, and if the user interface wasn't as old as I am! I am not kidding, I was born in '87 and this system is roughly the same age.
    *sometimes difficult volunteers - People are passionate about this organization and have spent decades devoting time to it. Sometime new ideas or something a little different clashes with what they like or want to do.
    *Nutcases - You get religious and conservative nutjobs every so often, because you are overseeing a geographic region and have upwards of thousands of volunteers, and tens of thousands of people within the community. This is an organization that believes a scout should be reverent, but it does not subscribe to any one religion or politic, and includes Buddhists, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, LDS, and more within the traditions. This can be difficult to explain to the homophobic/racist/religious extremists who are quoting fire and brimstone on a daily basis.
    *Hours - It doesn't bother me, having no family, but the evening hours could be difficult for some people.
    *Goals - sometimes the fundraising or membership goals are set really high and are nearly impossible to meet, especially if you have a predecessor who was slacking and skating by on inflated reports.
    *Politics- gay members, as well as atheist/agnostic members, have been not allowed into the organization, when we are simply trying to help young boys grow up into being positive, well rounded men. I cannot stand the idea that we are turning good people away, all because they may have a difference in what they believe or who they love. The membership vote in May 2013 was a jump forward, but we are still behind the rest of the nation by a solid ten years.

Local Council - Nothing, you are amazing!
    National - Update Scoutnet and everything, the fact that this system has a difficult interface, and cannot make good reports makes our job difficult. If the people we serve could go online, fill out an application, pay with credit card, and let a unit leader approve the application, it would make registrations so easy, rather than the mess of filling it out, passing it around amongst leaders, getting it months late, scanning, copying, turning it into the registrar, having to call for more information, then finally getting it into the system, months late. Get with today's technology!

Good company to work for, not sure the right leadership is in place

I worked at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Lot's of good benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

Not sure the right people are in place in middle management to take the movement to the next level. The current philosophy is to simply promote from within, thereby bringing up the same mindset as what has been in Scouting for the last century.

If Scouting does not find a way to become relevant to the youth of today, then I'm not sure if Scouting will be around for another century. Some of the latest Merit Badges, such as robotics, welding, and the other new ones, are a great start. But, it's time to work to be relevant to the youth of today and I'm not sure middle management is in place to lead that. Need new ideas and fresh thoughts...not the same old thing. Also, listen to the youth in the program and take to heart what they are saying.

There are newer employer reviews for Boy Scouts of America