There are newer employer reviews for Boys Town

Humility needs to start at the top

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, helping families and children in need, working to fulfill Father Flanagan's legacy, the opportunity to work with like-minded people, rewarding, ability to see benefits of your work.

Cons

The structure at Boys Town is very rigid and does not allow for career development. I have witnessed employees who did not meet the qualifications of a position get promoted based on the fact they were a good friend of someone in senior management. There is hardly any accountability for managers and they (the ones I have been in contact with) take full advantage of this. As another review mentioned, I have also seen supervisors and directors become extremely defensive when an issue is brought up (instead of being open to talking about it and being solution-focused). In my time here, it seems as though the management takes the easy way out and tries to cover up problems instead of fixing them.

Advice to Management

Humility and accountability needs to start at the top. Focus on the kids instead of the "business" of Boys Town.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Rewarding

I worked at Boys Town

Pros

People are very friendly, supportive upper management staff. great location, it has that homely feel to it. i really felt that i was making a difference in the lives of children served by Boys Town

Cons

kids could be hostile at times but like what we have been told: it's just the behavior.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

2. Assistant Family Teacher

I worked at Boys Town

Pros

The staff is really passionate about the youth in their care, and the behavior model really does seem to work with youth. I have personally seen youth change over periods of time into individuals that would have been unimaginable upon first meeting them. Overall the change you see is amazing!

Cons

The hierarchy appears to be super rigid and not keen to taking suggestions. I've seen supervisors and Directors become defensive when it was not necessary. Conversation and addressing the concerns would have been a better option.

Advice to Management

I understand that the model is rigid, but allow for a more democratic relationship among staff.