Boys Town

www.boystown.org
  www.boystown.org
There are newer employer reviews for Boys Town

Non-profits often have problems, but this ones better than most.

Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher
Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked for a half-dozen social service/non-profits and Boys Town has some of the most sincere and genuine staff I've had the pleasure to . For non-profit work their compensation is ample, with matching percentages for retirement plans, good vacation time (which only gets better the longer you work for them), and insurance options.

In general, management is very supportive and desires the best for their employees and the communities we serve.

Cons

My major griefs are the frequency of meetings (which often require coming in on days off for shift workers), the initial lack of sick leave, and that the job is both demanding and occasionally tedious (though that would not be different working for any other company).

Additionally, while not technically Catholic, a lot of their policies reflect specifically Catholic beliefs (the health insurance doesn't cover birth control).

I understand how the Catholic roots influence your policies on birth control and homosexuality, but it's archaic and a turn off to many potential employees. Can you really hope to get the best workers if you still practice discrimination?

32 Other Employee Reviews for Boys Town (View Most Recent)

Family Consultant

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Boys Town is truly interested in enhancing staff members strengths, and promoting upward mobility. The behavioral model really works with families, and is easy to teach/understand. Our benefits are really good, too.

Cons

The work hours depend greatly on the schedule of the families that you work with. As a Family Consultant, you can plan on working many evenings and a weekend day.

Keep shining, and invest in year-end bonuses. :)

I have worked for Boys Town for almost 10 years.

Current Employee - Family Teacher
    Current Employee - Family Teacher

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company believes in their mission from the top to the bottom. They truly believe in changing the way america cares for children and families. They have a lot of research to support their model of care. The compensation is competitive and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

They are always wanting more and not considerate of your personal life and health. The management recognizes the negative behavior, but does not use positive reinforcement. They have no sense of the amount of stress and emotionally draining working with youth 24/7 does.

Reward positive behavior and encourage personal growth. Encourage opportunities to have a work-life balance that encourages personal growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Boys Town