There are newer employer reviews for Boys & Girls Clubs

The pay was great, but management was terrible.

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs

Pros

Paid great, working with disadvantaged youth, making a difference, afternoon work hours, t-shirt for dress code

Cons

Unequal treatment between employees by management, supervisor had no experience supervising, limited communication from any management, HR did not communicate

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Personally Rewarding, but No Feedback from Management

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs

Pros

Working at the Boys and Girls Club was very rewarding personally. Each day I was able to directly see the difference I was making in these young people's lives. If you are interested in a job that makes a difference in a child's life- this is for you. I also was able to hand pick the students I wished to tutor based on their grades, which was wonderful. I was also able to make my own schedule and choose the tutoring materials. They also allowed me to request purchases for certain materials. Overall the two pluses about this job- helping children towards a more successful life and the self-managing aspect.

Cons

The main complaint I have with this job was the lack of feedback. When I was given the position I did realize that it was a very broad-based job, and that I was able to organize the system however I wished, under very few guidelines, which I enjoyed. But, the lack of feedback was discouraging at times. My superior had vaguely mentioned to me about writing a report each quarter- although no one had ever done so in this position, therefore there were no guidelines for this. Now, I have no problem with creating my own format- but some feedback would have been nice. I simply adapted my own report system- and turned it in- it was always accepted and I was told it was "good", but that was it. In fact, when I left this job I felt very confused on their opinion of me. I had never been reprimanded or asked to change something I had done, but I had also never been told that I was doing a great job. So, when they approached me this previous year- asking for me to come back and ranting on how well I did- I was pleasantly but VERY surprised- because I had no clue how they felt about my work performance.

Advice to Management

GIVE FEEDBACK! I was so surprised that my supervisors did such a poor job with this- considering they all had experience working with children. Any sort of feedback is appreciated- if it is positive then it will only motivate the person more! Often times I felt like I was just a warm body filling a position- very discouraging.

2. Great pay for homework tutoring.

Former Employee - Academic Tutor
    Former Employee - Academic Tutor

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs

Pros

Opportunities to interact with kids from the community.
    No penalties for sick time.
    Some great coworkers and great pay for tutoring.

Cons

Senior management not available for questions/concerns.
    Lots of closed days equaling less pay.
    Kids often rude when management not around.

Advice to Management

Keep the kids most important, but take time to hear how the kids are treating employees too. Return phone calls.