Boys and Girls Town of Missouri

www.bgtm.org
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Boys and Girls Town of Missouri

Rewarding yet horrendous job!

Current Employee - Youth Care Specialist in Saint James, MO
Current Employee - Youth Care Specialist in Saint James, MO

I have been working at Boys and Girls Town of Missouri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great healthcare coverage. Cool co-workers to work with.

Cons

Job can get dangerous, but no one really warns you of that when you apply. Should get paid more for what youth care specialists have to do.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Horrible, The therapists do not listen to what the parents have to say, instead believing a delinquent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Boys and Girls Town of Missouri

Pros

A Paycheck, they want to squeeze every employee like a Turnip, and not hire additional help, it is definitely a challenge everyday. Things you learn here, you will never learn anywhere else.

Cons

Its all about money for them, not so much the children and evaluating how dangerous certain children are.

Advice to Management

Talk with employees, really listen to what they have to say. THE TRUTH! Without repercussions if they have something negative to say. Happy Employees means Happy Business. Sometimes I wonder if Upper Management is really competent enough to be in management.

2. Dangerous work environment

Former Employee - Charge Staff and Youth Care Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Charge Staff and Youth Care Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at Boys and Girls Town of Missouri

Pros

Building a relationship with kids who need positive attachments and positive role models! Other than working with youth, the only positives were learning what I would NEVER put up with again from a job or from management.

Cons

-severe lack of communication, respect, and supervision that leads to placing direct care staff in dangerous situations
    -lack of training to fulfill job requirements according to their milieu or therapeutic approach/model
    -time and energy expectations extremely high for direct care staff with very little respect or support from management
    The youth are difficult to work with. I was punched in the face twice. There are never enough staff to feel truly safe and supported in a dangerous environment. I loved this job simply because it taught me what NOT to do and what I will never put up with again.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and take what they say to heart instead of offering empty promises or false suppport. Train more.