Bracewell & Giuliani
www.bracewellgiuliani.com Houston, TX 500 to 999 Employees

Good learning experience for legal secretary/admin positions

Administrative Assistant (Fka "Legal Secretaries") (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany resources (eg on-site fax/copy center, IT help desk/dept, court runners, mail room); professional environment; firm keeps up with technology and offers excellent in-house ongoing training; a lot of staff has been there for many years; opportunities arose occasionally to transfer to other areas of law; all time off categorized as PTO (much better than vacation, sick time, personal time, etc.); ideal location in DT; paid parking or monthly stipend for park-n-ride; and competitive benefits and benefits dept. had periodic seminars with guest speakers (eg physicians, nutritionists, etc.) related to better health, etc.

ConsThe bonus program was rearranged and there really wasn't any clear criteria provided to ensure an individual would receive their entire bonus. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, as several other large law firms apparently weren't able to give out bonuses several years in a row; it's just that in this economy, every penny counts, and if there's a chance a full bonus won't be realized, then for darn sake - make available clearer critera. Raises were miniscule - definitely did not keep up with cost of living. Definite distinction between attorneys and staff - definite distinction.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have a firm meeting saying it's been a banner year for the firm, the firm is doing great, business is good, yadda, yadda, yadda, then cut bonuses in half and give out miniscule raises every year. Another bone of contention - the constant mantra from managing partner(s) to staff: "We couldn't do it without, you; you're the backbone of this firm; we are a family....." is just that - words; not backed up with any action - namely keeping hard-working, talented, legal secretaries at the firm with more competitive salaries and a better process for ensuring ones who really deserve their full bonus, get one. I worked with staff who worked efficiently, productively, conscientiously, took pride in their work, cared about the firm and followed all the rules, alongside individuals who were lazy, not team players, surfed the net constantly, knew how to "work the system" and were out of there 15 min early every day and yet - guess who got their full bonus! Definitely not a fair system at all. The process now is not working and needs to change.

Wonderful Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time

Pros: Excellent culture, a great group of people at all levels… Cons: None. A very good place to work. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Typical law firm - non-lawyers are second-class citizens. AmLaw 100 wanna-be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Bracewell & Giuliani full-time for more than a year

Pros: Standard law firm benefits, regular pay raises & bonuses. Most non-lawyers qualify for overtime… Cons: As in most firms, the lawyers think of the non-lawyers as "the help," not professionals deserving of respect. They're as polite to you as… Advice to Senior Management: Law firms aren't corporations - never have been, never will be. And you're no Skadden - never have been, never will be. Yes, times change &… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Bracewell & Giuliani.

Worked for Bracewell & Giuliani? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bracewell & Giuliani reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bracewell & Giuliani CEO Mark C. Evans. All reviews posted anonymously by Bracewell & Giuliani employees.