Bracket

www.bracketglobal.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Bracket

Bracket in Wayne, PA and San Francisco (also known as Bracketglobal)

Current Employee - Client Services in Wayne, PA
Current Employee - Client Services in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Bracket full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Peers and opportunities for travel to interesting locations

Cons

Sadly, there are alot of cons to working at Bracket. First, management is overall ill-equipped and untrained on the core responsibilities such as mentoring, feedback (positive and negative), and team building. I report unhappily that the work environment is fear based and blame based. Managers tend to deal in crisis mode only and always focus on what's wrong/mistakes rather than what is right and working. This leads to people afraid to take chances and take responsibility. Bracket is also not flexible, institutes a core hours policy that is antiquated if not ancient, and overall has a management philosophy and style that is paternal in the worst sense of the word (think of the father as authoritarian). It's depressing since there is so much potential and so many great people working there and silently wanting and needing change.

Invite someone into your management ranks that hasn't been there since the company was 25 people--get some fresh and new ideas and incorporate them. Don't be afraid of change--listen to your employees, they are your bread and butter and are smart and savvy. Management--please take training courses on modern management style and approach. Bring those concepts back into the office and into practice. Be a trailblazer, be innovative, meet the challenges of a modern workforce who offer so much. Strive to be better at serving each other and at serving the client. And finally embrace respect for differences in how people choose to live and work--there are many roads to getting to the same result. Stop forcing people to follow one road only. The company and believe it, you, will be better for it.

80 Other Employee Reviews for Bracket (View Most Recent)

A Cog in the Machine

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bracket full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location and a pay check.

Cons

If like an environment that is boring and non-engaged, this is the place for you. Most likely the most depressing office environment I have ever worked for. Huge turn-over and low morale. Very structured paper heavy environment. God forbid, we (management) change our ancient processes.

Get with the program. This is 2013, not 1980's. Low morale = Low productivity. Engage your employees, however I think it's too late.

Run Away from Bracket--Easily my worst working experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Bracket full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Profitable Company

Many openings available at all times.

Previously had decent benefits but anything respectable has been phased out (see below)

Cons

The following is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure not everyone feels the same. I felt almost everything at Bracket, except their growth, is significantly below industry standards.

Salary and Benefits are embarrassingly low. My pay was just over 50% of the national average for my position and experience. I am currently looking at non-profit positions that pay significantly above what Bracket pays. It is embarrassing that even if I stayed at Bracket for several years and earned several rounds of promotions, Bracket still wouldn't be able to compete with the non profit sector for compensation.

Benefits have been slowly reduced or stealthily removed over the last several years as Bracket has sought to maximize their profitability. Healthcare insurance is a joke . Prescription medicine is only being covered in a pharmacy for a max of two months. After this you have to pay full price if you don't start ordering through their mail delivery service. Get ready to pay hundreds of dollars for routine blood work and appointments. I was shocked to see my bills after signing up for Brackets "top tier" health plan. You can find better, AND cheaper individual insurance than getting ripped off by Brackets health "insurance".

Bracket will advertise their very generous vacation and days off policy which is also misleading. They have slowly removed most of the paid days off so that there are a total of 5 days off in a year. You have to use vacation days to not have to come into work on Christmas Eve. Most other holidays that you would expect to get off you won't. There are also no paid sick days so you must use your vacation time fo this. When you look at the big picture, you would be getting more time off almost anywhere else. They have also reduced maternity/ paternity leave. Overall benefits here have gotten worse and worse.

The type of work performed by Bracket teams can only be described as glorified tech support as someone else so eloquently put in another review. Bracket is used by pharma companies to do some of the most mindless and tedious tasks that pharma companies don't want to waste their own employees time on, knowing that they wouldn't be able to retain bright individuals if they did so. There are inflated titles used to describe the tedious, unskilled work which Bracket is used for. "Scale management" whose function is to photocopy pages and put them in binders for the pharma companies is a major responsibility of many project teams. Other Bracket team members will be tasked with calling up sites for weeks on end telling them how to restart their computers and install software. I'm shocked that Bracket isn't located in India, or have large operations based outside of the country for this type of work.

Sponsors will often times treat Bracket teams very poorly. They look down at Bracket and its employees due to the type of work that we do which they view as unskilled and undesirable. Due to this permeating view, any mistakes that are made are treated harshly resulting in stressful encounters and blame being shifted around unfairly amongst employees.

People at Bracket are generally nice and simple. I've found that since Bracket has such high turnover the only people that stick around are those who do not have options outside of the company or who are not qualified for more desirable work. This has resulted in a culture where many managers who have been promoted are not those who are most qualified. They are the ones who are not bad enough to be fired but also not good enough to leave. I found it difficult to take orders from people who I would have never hired for entry level positions at past places I have worked but have risen to middle and upper management at Bracket.

Overall I found Bracket to be an unsuitable workplace for myself and could sense the unhappiness and misery in others. If you wish to be underpaid, overworked, and disrespected on a daily level then Bracket might be right for you, otherwise look at the many companies who have learned to treat their employees well.

Honestly describe positions and responsibilities to prospective employees. Project Specialist should be an entry level position straight out of college. Project managers positions should be geared towards those under 30 with no more than 5 years of work experience. Hire directors and other middle managers from outside of the company who have learned management skills in both b school and in practice rather than promoting unqualified individuals from within. Eliminate the Project Assistant position as it would take no more than a few developers to automate their data entry tasks. Compensation for most positions needs to be nearly doubled to attract, recruit, and retain bright individuals who can help expand the company outside of tech/site support. Bring benefits in line with the industry. Relocate Wayne campus to Philly or NY or make use of superior talent pools.

There are newer employer reviews for Bracket