Bridgewater Associates

www.bwater.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

The culture looks great on paper, however in practice.....

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Westport, CT
Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Bridgewater for a little under a year. They are always hiring for HR because they divide it into Recruiting and HR. And they always are in need for recruiters because their turnover is very high. The culture on the HR side is not as intense as the culture is on the recruiting side since the recruiting department is more involved with the "money" and therefore more exposed to the culture. But crazy stuff aside Bridgewater can be a good place if you end up with a good team!

Cons

For the most part I think their culture is interesting/borderline unproductive. It can be very intense at times because they tend to nit pick at what you do wrong even if it's something small. And focus on those issues rather than the work you are supposed to be doing. Which can be very stressful.

The CULTure is a little on the intense side. Learn that not everyone has the same way of getting to the "truth".

132 Other Employee Reviews for Bridgewater Associates (View Most Recent)

Open & honest culture. Company is changing into a large "institution".

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

Open and transparent. People really believe in the Principles and operate by them. You'll learn a lot about yourself -- strengths and weaknesses -- at a richer/deeper level than at other places. Good benefits/perks.

Cons

Emphasis on learning from mistakes results in focus on mistakes & weaknesses. Can be a hit on self-confidence. Not everyone is bought into culture resulting in politicking using the principles.

Figure out if you really want to be an institutional company and change accordingly. Attempting to cling to entrepreneurial feel just causes churn & confusion.

I can be myself

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

I found my transition into Bridgewater surprisingly easy. Everyone talks about how unique and harsh the culture is, but the way of being at BW felt natural to me from the start...
    I have been there for 2+ years and I have found it to be a very liberating place to work. Everyday I just walk in and be myself. I am not stressed about looking good (both figuratively and literally since you can wear what you want) or worried about office politics or what's going on behind closed doors. I just focus on doing my very best at my responsibilities and being open to the learning that comes along the way. I always know where I stand on my performance because I get the feedback constantly. I find by and large my colleagues to be of high integrity and easy to get along with. And unlike other places, I know what management is talking about behind those closed doors bc they send out the tapes of it to everyone! Its awesome to not have to fear about making mistakes or saying "I don't know" - just frees up your mindshare. I can focus on how I can contribute and make impact without distractions that can come into play in more "typical" work environments.

Also a big plus for me and one of the reasons why I came to BW is the high standards that it maintains. It doesn't mean that everything is perfect - far from it ... but the place despises mediocrity and laziness. It really is a place that wants to be excellent and acknowledges where it is isn't. BW doesn't tolerate slackers or people who are just "along for the ride". Who really wants to work with those type of people?

Cons

There is not a lot flexibility re: telecommuting or flexible work arrangements which as a working mom would be a welcomed benefit. That being said I find that my managers and colleagues respect how I manage my time and there is no "facetime". If you are explicit about your reality and limitations, people will be reasonable.

There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates