There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

The culture looks great on paper, however in practice.....

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator  in  Westport, CT
Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at Bridgewater for a little under a year. They are always hiring for HR because they divide it into Recruiting and HR. And they always are in need for recruiters because their turnover is very high. The culture on the HR side is not as intense as the culture is on the recruiting side since the recruiting department is more involved with the "money" and therefore more exposed to the culture. But crazy stuff aside Bridgewater can be a good place if you end up with a good team!

Cons

For the most part I think their culture is interesting/borderline unproductive. It can be very intense at times because they tend to nit pick at what you do wrong even if it's something small. And focus on those issues rather than the work you are supposed to be doing. Which can be very stressful.

The CULTure is a little on the intense side. Learn that not everyone has the same way of getting to the "truth".

112 Other Employee Reviews for Bridgewater Associates (View Most Recent)

I've been at Bridgewater now for 5+ years and cant imagine working somewhere else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Community - the people are what make a place and the people and relationships you build working here are really one of a kind and long lasting. You are surrounded by really smart people with all different and interesting life experiences, who work hard, care a lot about this place and will have genuine conversations with you about what they think and push to help you get better. There is no talking behind peoples backs or shady decision making happening behind closed doors - its an open environment where we work through problems and feedback together and in that, creates very trusting and honest relationships. If you want to be at a place where you can just be yourself and surround yourself with other people doing the same thing, this is a great community to be a part of.

The Personal Growth– I have learned so much about myself while working here, which has helped me evolve both professionally and personally. It’s just such a cool experience to think about who I was when I joined, how much I have grown in these past 5+ years (i.e. I’m a much better problem solver, more open minded) and to imagine what my journey will be like as I continue to evolve in the future. The rate of improvement and learning here is like nowhere else I have experienced and it’s just such a unique opportunity to be at a company that fosters so much personal evolution and learning.

Ability to Make Impact – this place and your job really are what you make it. You have a set of goals and responsibilities but how you achieve those things can really be up to you. This place wants independent thinkers, people who strive to make things better, will put themselves out there with ideas and have the drive to take on projects or improve how we are doing things. In my experience here, I really have seen this to be true. We are a growing firm with lots of change happening so it’s really an exciting time to be a part of this place and the opportunity to make an impact really is huge.

Cons

Work/life balance can be tough – I think because the people that work here are so passionate about what they do and this place, it can be difficult at times to maintain that work/life balance and go home when you know there is so much to be done. Over the years, I think I’ve for the most part been able to manage it OK (because I know there will always be tons to get done, but am comfortable prioritizing the things that have to be done and the stuff that can wait until tomorrow), but I’ve seen this as something many colleagues have struggled with.

Run away as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, good pay. Beautiful location.

Cons

Strange, self-deluded upper management, and others try to emulate. Narcissism runs rampant, which is counter to what "The Principles" express. Weird meetings where people tell the "truth" about each other. Mostly an opportunity for people to tell you what's wrong with you in an abusive way. It's like group therapy with a very sick therapist in charge. Cameras follow you everywhere, meetings and conversations are recorded. Might as well live in Soviet Russia. Very, very weird place. I'd say close to a cult. This is a place where people come to score a lot of money and then leave as quickly as they can.

Learn real self-reflection, not the kind that boosts you at the expense of others. Try to understand that when you say that people "fail out of Bridgewater," you're simply revealing your own biases and lack of understanding.

There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

Worked for Bridgewater Associates? Contribute to the Community!