Bridgewater Associates

www.bwater.com
  www.bwater.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

Run away as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, good pay. Beautiful location.

Cons

Strange, self-deluded upper management, and others try to emulate. Narcissism runs rampant, which is counter to what "The Principles" express. Weird meetings where people tell the "truth" about each other. Mostly an opportunity for people to tell you what's wrong with you in an abusive way. It's like group therapy with a very sick therapist in charge. Cameras follow you everywhere, meetings and conversations are recorded. Might as well live in Soviet Russia. Very, very weird place. I'd say close to a cult. This is a place where people come to score a lot of money and then leave as quickly as they can.

Learn real self-reflection, not the kind that boosts you at the expense of others. Try to understand that when you say that people "fail out of Bridgewater," you're simply revealing your own biases and lack of understanding.

127 Other Employee Reviews for Bridgewater Associates (View Most Recent)

Great, challenging environment

Former Employee - Facilities Manager
    Former Employee - Facilities Manager

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. You will be pushed and challenged constantly to perform at your best. Very open and transparent environment.

Cons

Tech infrastructure is outdated, making simple processes very time consuming.

Exponential Personal Growth

Current Employee - Candidate Lead Manager in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Candidate Lead Manager in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Because of my working at Bridgewater for the past almost 3 years, I am a better manager, better husband, better father and better goal achiever (to name a few). I'm grateful that others who care about me have pushed me as hard as they have, I'm grateful that I'm in an environment where I can push others just as hard and I'm grateful that I've had the opportunity to intellectualize the company principles.

It’s amazing that someone like me who is overconfident, lazy and forgetful, who doesn’t plan well, who doesn’t think about the 2nd and 3rd order consequences of actions well, who has trouble with verbal communication, who is a narrow thinker and who struggles with really seeing things from other people’s perspectives (to name a few) can truly succeed at Bridgewater. Why can this be the case? For the simple fact that I know all of these things about me (and others know as well) and am working hard to ensure they are front of mind in every decision I make. 3 years ago I knew none of this. I’ve learned how my ego (essentially making decisions to maximize for me looking good) inhibits me from getting to the truth and making progress. I’ve learned that I make lots of bad decisions based on really bad assumptions (including assumptions I didn’t even know I was making). I’ve developed a sickness to incompetence and desire not to accept it.

Whether or not you agree or disagree I strongly suggest (which I do so to all of my close friends and family) you read the company principles and get whatever benefit you can from their “self-help” nature. Having reminders such as “make sure you realize what you are missing” and “make sure you consider whether the other person really knows what they are talking about” (to name just a couple and paraphrased in my words) should have immediate positive impact on you in both your professional and personal lives. Ray recently articulated that Bridgewater’s way of being is “meaningful work and meaningful relationships through radical truth and radical transparency.” Very accurate, very well said and in my opinion is at the core of why Bridgewater is unique and great.

Cons

Upsides far outweigh the downsides however it isn't without cons. There is impact to my family in the sense that hours are longer than my work in a different industry prior (but less a function of Bridgewater and more a function of the financial services industry and my ability to deal with it well) and because of Bridgewater's high horsepower environment I'm usually pretty tired when I’m home and take a little while to unwind and recharge (again, these are likely more a function of my inability to deal well vs. a set expectation by management).

Use Greg Jensen who is, in my opinion, a really cool and innovative CEO and mentor to many as a more strategic asset on the external branding. Would like to see him get out more and either sit in with Ray on interviews or do them himself.

There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates