There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

Run away as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, good pay. Beautiful location.

Cons

Strange, self-deluded upper management, and others try to emulate. Narcissism runs rampant, which is counter to what "The Principles" express. Weird meetings where people tell the "truth" about each other. Mostly an opportunity for people to tell you what's wrong with you in an abusive way. It's like group therapy with a very sick therapist in charge. Cameras follow you everywhere, meetings and conversations are recorded. Might as well live in Soviet Russia. Very, very weird place. I'd say close to a cult. This is a place where people come to score a lot of money and then leave as quickly as they can.

Advice to Management

Learn real self-reflection, not the kind that boosts you at the expense of others. Try to understand that when you say that people "fail out of Bridgewater," you're simply revealing your own biases and lack of understanding.

Other Employee Reviews for Bridgewater Associates

I can be myself

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

I found my transition into Bridgewater surprisingly easy. Everyone talks about how unique and harsh the culture is, but the way of being at BW felt natural to me from the start... I have been there for 2+ years and I have found it to be a very liberating place to work. Everyday I just walk in and be myself. I am not stressed about looking good (both figuratively and literally since you can wear what you want) or worried about office politics or what's going on behind closed doors. I just focus on doing my very best at my responsibilities and being open to the learning that comes along the way. I always know where I stand on my performance because I get the feedback constantly. I find by and large my colleagues to be of high integrity and easy to get along with. And unlike other places, I know what management is talking about behind those closed doors bc they send out the tapes of it to everyone! Its awesome to not have to fear about making mistakes or saying "I don't know" - just frees up your mindshare. I can focus on how I can contribute and make impact without distractions that can come into play in more "typical" work environments. Also a big plus for me and one of the reasons why I came to BW is the high standards that it maintains. It doesn't mean that everything is perfect - far from it ... but the place despises mediocrity and laziness. It really is a place that wants to be excellent and acknowledges where it is isn't. BW doesn't tolerate slackers or people who are just "along for the ride". Who really wants to work with those type of people?

Cons

There is not a lot flexibility re: telecommuting or flexible work arrangements which as a working mom would be a welcomed benefit. That being said I find that my managers and colleagues respect how I manage my time and there is no "facetime". If you are explicit about your reality and limitations, people will be reasonable.

A great place to start a career in investments

Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bridgewater hired me right out undergrad (where I was a Liberal Arts major) as an Investment Associate. I've been here for 3.5yrs. I'm really glad I came for the following reasons: -I've found the culture really fulfilling - work with brilliant people who push me hard to get better, but care a lot about me. As a result, I think I've grown a lot here. -The Investment Associate class - a nine month crash course on how to be an investor - was outstanding. Better (and harder) than any class I took at school. -Even past the first year, strong focus on training and developing. "Trading game" is a good example of a training tool - Bridgewater will take the other side of any global macro trade you want to make (big or small), and your profit or losses comes out of your bonus - a great way to get your hands dirty in markets and testing your ideas. -Work is hard, thought provoking, and interesting. I seem to be more challenged and stimulated by my work than my friendsw who pursued other careers (esp. banking and consulting). -Great career opportunities. High ability to try out different roles to get different experiences. -I work with really fun, cool people. Really like my co-workers and bosses. -Lots of resources and willingness to experiment with good, innovative ideas. A place where you can be very entrepreneurial if you are able to do it. -The set of clients and folks that pay attention to our research is impressive - you have the opportunity to influence the understanding of people who matter. -People and policies are flexible and reasonable. Easy to go to the gym or a run the middle of the day. -Beautiful office, in the middle of basically a forest and wetland. -Great pay and benefits, particularly if you stick around for a few years.

Cons

-Biggest for me is location in Westport CT rather than NYC. -Relatedly, Bridgewater's telecommuting options suck. In certain departments and role, you can't work from home without a (rare) exception for a particular project. -Hours aren't great, though not banking bad. I average working about 9-9 M-Th, 9-5 Friday, and 2 hrs on weekends. (totaly of 55-60 hrs). Lots of flexibility though (Usually I can leave early no problem if I want to) -For those who may want to switch careers within macro hedge funds, you got to wait a couple years (go to business school) due to non-compete agreement. -I love the culture -but its not for anyone. With open feedback, you have to have a thick skin sometimes. -Company facing growing pains related to a lot of new hiring over the last 4yrs, including inexperienced people bumping into eachother.

Advice to Management

Allowing greater telecommuting is an easy way to make employees a lot happier. Be more transparent about pay and benefits so people understand what they are getting into.