There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

Run away as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, good pay. Beautiful location.

Cons

Strange, self-deluded upper management, and others try to emulate. Narcissism runs rampant, which is counter to what "The Principles" express. Weird meetings where people tell the "truth" about each other. Mostly an opportunity for people to tell you what's wrong with you in an abusive way. It's like group therapy with a very sick therapist in charge. Cameras follow you everywhere, meetings and conversations are recorded. Might as well live in Soviet Russia. Very, very weird place. I'd say close to a cult. This is a place where people come to score a lot of money and then leave as quickly as they can.

Advice to Management

Learn real self-reflection, not the kind that boosts you at the expense of others. Try to understand that when you say that people "fail out of Bridgewater," you're simply revealing your own biases and lack of understanding.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A great place to start a career in investments

Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bridgewater hired me right out undergrad (where I was a Liberal Arts major) as an Investment Associate. I've been here for 3.5yrs. I'm really glad I came for the following reasons: -I've found the culture really fulfilling - work with brilliant people who push me hard to get better, but care a lot about me. As a result, I think I've grown a lot here. -The Investment Associate class - a nine month crash course on how to be an investor - was outstanding. Better (and harder) than any class I took at school. -Even past the first year, strong focus on training and developing. "Trading game" is a good example of a training tool - Bridgewater will take the other side of any global macro trade you want to make (big or small), and your profit or losses comes out of your bonus - a great way to get your hands dirty in markets and testing your ideas. -Work is hard, thought provoking, and interesting. I seem to be more challenged and stimulated by my work than my friendsw who pursued other careers (esp. banking and consulting). -Great career opportunities. High ability to try out different roles to get different experiences. -I work with really fun, cool people. Really like my co-workers and bosses. -Lots of resources and willingness to experiment with good, innovative ideas. A place where you can be very entrepreneurial if you are able to do it. -The set of clients and folks that pay attention to our research is impressive - you have the opportunity to influence the understanding of people who matter. -People and policies are flexible and reasonable. Easy to go to the gym or a run the middle of the day. -Beautiful office, in the middle of basically a forest and wetland. -Great pay and benefits, particularly if you stick around for a few years.

Cons

-Biggest for me is location in Westport CT rather than NYC. -Relatedly, Bridgewater's telecommuting options suck. In certain departments and role, you can't work from home without a (rare) exception for a particular project. -Hours aren't great, though not banking bad. I average working about 9-9 M-Th, 9-5 Friday, and 2 hrs on weekends. (totaly of 55-60 hrs). Lots of flexibility though (Usually I can leave early no problem if I want to) -For those who may want to switch careers within macro hedge funds, you got to wait a couple years (go to business school) due to non-compete agreement. -I love the culture -but its not for anyone. With open feedback, you have to have a thick skin sometimes. -Company facing growing pains related to a lot of new hiring over the last 4yrs, including inexperienced people bumping into eachother.

Advice to Management

Allowing greater telecommuting is an easy way to make employees a lot happier. Be more transparent about pay and benefits so people understand what they are getting into.

Cloudy with a side of meatballs

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros at Bridgewater associates are pay, free lunch and happy hours. The people are friendly and are well aware on how to play the cultural management chess game.

Cons

The culture is easy to understand, yet management has a difficult time making it work. Truth and transparency are the key points and as easy as that sounds management become what is known as ninja's; using principled languange to spiral an issue down to the non-management employees, rather than owning the issue and understanding how their management skills are lacking the knowledge of their people and/or processes.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing yourselfs, but be sure to pay it forward to the levels below.