There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

Glad I Left

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Westport, CT
Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As the cliche goes, the food is excellent, but that shouldn't be the reason why you want to work there. Salary was okay, but I am getting paid more in New York without the headaches. No one ever gave me a hard time if that counts for anything. They did, however, give my friend a lot of stress.

Cons

Lackadaisical people who are good at faking it will prevail there. Dalio and his ego and his stupid religion is turning his employees into nervous wrecks who should know better. The lack of organization that I witnessed even shocked me. Bridgewater's website is full of glitches and its content is way off. One example: The Culture Videos are old and outdated. I think four of those people who speak fondly about working at Bridgewater haven't worked there for quite a long time. You can figure this out on your own by doing a simple Google search. Oh yeah, working in Westport is almost like living in a prison. You feel like you are working at someone's rich dense Westport estate with lots of trees, which gives everything an unprofessional vibe.

I guess you are doing fine. My advice is only for people thinking about getting a job there: Buyer beware. Figure it out on your own.

reviews filtered by

One of the best places to start your Management career

Current Employee - Management Associate
    Current Employee - Management Associate

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you want to be a great manager one day, you want to be in a place where you can learn from the best managers out there while doing work that is as close to actual management work as possible. Being a Management Associate at BW can allow you exactly that: right out of college, I started working very closely with an extremely seasoned manager who teaches and coaches me every day in all the core skills of a manager. To give an example, I get the chance to run meetings with the former CEO of a 6000+ company watching me and giving me feedback in the moment, only a few months out of school. There are very few places that give entry level folks that kind of experience and development opportunity.

Cons

The location in Westport, CT vis-a-vis NYC or at least Stamford is definitely a draw back. Although the free transportation offered by BW is as good as it possibly can be (reliable, comfortable, professional), it's still at least 1h each way to NYC. I have the choice to stay overnight in CT if I choose to, but that's still not the same as going home.

Pay is good, headgames abound

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was very good, although you have to play a lot of mental head games to survive there. If you can afford to be unemployed for a while take it for the money while you can.

Cons

Doublespeak is necessary to survive. They speak about truth and honesty, but the ones that know how to manipulate the principles are the ones who survive the longest. There can be camaraderie there, but trust no one.

Regarding the famed question: Advice to Management: What is there to say? The culture won't change although the company is too big for the principles as espoused by the owner, Ray Dahlio, to work effectively. Even those who were once on his favored list have left. The thing is, regardless of what the naysayers

When Dahlio gives the company up, allow the culture to change. Young people love it. Those in the working world know it is a sham and it is only a certain amount of time before you are out on the street either by choice or decision.

There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates