Bright Horizons Family Solutions

There are newer employer reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions

The McDonald's of ECE

Current Employee - Teacher in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Teacher in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The kids get me through the day. Every now and then, a passionate teacher comes along who's number one concern is the children. That is always refreshing when it happens. The HEART principals are a great theory. That stands for Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork. They are supposed to be the guiding principles of the company.

Cons

The number one priority seems to be branding of the centers and financial gains. I am not free to be creative, and if a child comes along who doesn't meet typical developmental patterns, I feel very restricted in making accommodations for that child because branching away from the guidelines is not the "Bright Horizons way." I am not trusted as a teacher. All written communications must be sent out by administration, and that can only happen after a lengthy submitting process, a corrections list, and an official approval. Many of the other teachers are not able to use a computer, write a complete sentence, or use common sense. I believe that the lengthy list of ever changing rules has made people so focused on following the rules that a logical decision cannot be made outside of administration providing an official guideline. It is also cut throat. We are constantly bombarded with the importance of branding and being competitive in getting more students enrolled with the threat of job loss of this is not done. When you walk in the door, you are given a "show." You are told of many wonderful aspects of the center, but those things are fabricated and do not actually happen. The staff are actually prepped for a tour and coached on appropriate activities to lead during tours so as to insure that nothing iffy happens during tours.

Spend some time with the children enrolled in the centers. Spend some time getting to know the teachers. A rule does not need to be created for each and every situation if you employ educated teachers with common sense. Pay those teachers a competitive salary that they can actually live on. When I am treated like an hourly hired help, my confidence begins to disappear, and I loose the skills that made you hire me in the first place.

305 Other Employee Reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions (View Most Recent)

I love Bright Horizons!

Current Employee - Primary Teacher
    Current Employee - Primary Teacher

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Caring and understand staff for not only employees but families and children, great benefits, fun environment.

Cons

Paper work is a little bit much, but its not unbearable.

Discussing with office staff about working more closely with the employees and following through.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing career growth opportunities, great benefits!

Cons

May have to commute depending on where you live.

Keep up the great work!