Bright Horizons Family Solutions

There are newer employer reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Smoke & Mirrors

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Their facilities are high-quality in terms of space, function, supplies, toys and location. They offer a ton of professional development in a variety of areas. They offer a decent benefits package. It was also understood that employees tend to move up in rank after spending time within the company.

Cons

What you see is not what you get. There is tremendous variability between centers that is highly dependent upon the management style of the center director. Although one of their company's values is honest and integrity, the centers I visited/worked were rife with gossip and a general discontent for working with the company. Their schedule is very rigid, and is based on a formula for reaching a certain number of hours and number of employees at the center. To sum it all up, if you come from a teaching background, don't expect to do much of that here.

Be transparent with your employees about what to expect. Hire people that really want to be there despite the long hours and low pay.

Feb 3, 2014Corporate Recruitment Assistant

Thanks for your feedback, and I’m sorry your experience was not a positive one. Our goal is to make Bright Horizons feel like family to our employees, and if you’re willing to share more about your ... More

275 Other Employee Reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions (View Most Recent)

Extremely deceiving

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice and helpful "teachers"
    Good training and development

Cons

Unprofessional
    They hire tons of people who aren't certified so that they can merely use them as bodies to maintain ratios.
    You will apply for a certain position, interview for that position, and be hired with the appropriate job title, but once you finally start you will not work that position at all. You will be used anywhere and everywhere, regardless of your comfort level and career desires.
    Long, draining hours
    Parents are always aggravated about their children being thrown into all different classrooms with different teachers every day.

Don't lie to your new employees and expect them to stick around once they realize they are being used to fill ratios. Imagine if you were hired to be a doctor, but once on your first day your boss told you you are actually going to be a plumber? It is extremely unethical to hire someone for a particular position, have them go through a grueling amount of computer-based training, only to have them do a different job that they didn't sign up for. THIS, not the low pay, is why you have such a high turnover.

Feb 4, 2014Corporate Recruitment Assistant

We appreciate your feedback. Bright Horizons is deeply committed to our employees and to ensuring a supportive work environment, as well as to creating a great place for children, families, clients ... More

I love the children but hate the company culture!

Current Employee - Pre-k Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Pre-k Lead Teacher

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Other teachers and the kids

Cons

-I have served in the military, administration and a few other large corporations and this is the WORST run company I have seen. THIS IS A MONEY MAKING BUSINESS. I worked two years as a substitute and one year as a lead teacher though already have a date to leave and another job lined up since I have two degrees and am underpaid. Administration makes it very clear that they do not care about staff or students but about making things appear well run. There is no real chance of career advancement. State licensing laws are often ignored and then attempted to be masked for parents and licencors (especially when it came to staying in state ratio). One of the things that bothered me the most is that we are participating in the Early Achievers program and our director actually told us it is better to do worse on the rating scale since we would get more money- the idea that a FOR-PROFIT business would take state funded money to buy things while their company is making a profit is the worst. I am not ranking Bright Horizons low because of the pay but because they have company character guidelines that no one follows. There are always those who don't try hard at a job but after working in so many Bright Horizons as a substitute- it is the culture of Bright Horizons to attempt to be shiny on the outside for parents but their actions show they do not care about the children they take care of.
    -We are constantly lied to and besides on the outside surface, there is no regard for the company's own character guidelines (the heart principals).
    -People are not leaving do the pay but the extreme disregard for the law when they know they will not get caught and the extreme lack of professionalism when employees bring up legitimate concerns
    -I should mention that this review comes from a "star" employee who has many of the companies stupid little awards. I believe in doing a job well no matter how long I am staying but the lack of caring about what is best for the children instead of the checkbook makes me so sad.

Feb 4, 2014Corporate Recruitment Assistant

The safety of our children is our utmost concern. The issues you have raised are important, and we appreciate you bringing them to our attention. Any concerns about potential violations should be ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions