There are newer employer reviews for Brightcove

One of the best work environments you could ask for

Former Employee - Customer Solutions Specialist: Tier II in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Customer Solutions Specialist: Tier II in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good people. Great communication and exposure.

Cons

None that I came across over a period of one year

28 Other Employee Reviews for Brightcove (View Most Recent)

Fantastic opportunities for career growth at a fast growing company

Former Employee - Engineering in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Brightcove

Pros

The following was primarily about my experiences working at Brightcove's engineering org:

* Great opportunities for growth. Brightcove promoted people fairly aggressively and tailors careers individually versus trying to fit them into a mold.
    * Challenging large-scale projects. The engineering org was less than 100 people, but the product reaches millions of viewers. This allowed a great sense of individual influence -- there aren't many other companies at this modest size with this many customers.
    * Non-political, non-micromanaged environment. There was a high emphasis on self-directed teams, which means that decisions were not oppressively top-down. Teams came up with their own deadlines and defined how they approached their work.
    * Mature processes. The engineering organization had very mature processes in terms of how Agile, QA, etc. The engineering process overall works very well.
    * Fun perks. The kitchen was incredibly well stocked with free food. Some teams regularly have nerf gun wars. There's lots of free lunches. We got free beer during our demo Fridays and often had spontaneous beer or birthday parties. There were crazy off-site meetings with talent shows and partying. We got money to dressup for Halloween. Brightcove hosts a huge yearly conference which includes a harbor cruise with free alcohol and food.
    * Financial success. Brightcove is doing very well financially, which is reflected in bonus payouts, salaries, and other financial incentives; and Brightcove IPO'd in 2012!
    * Experienced leadership. Many of the senior leadership had worked together previously in building up large successful companies. Overall, the leadership competency here is very high compared to the size of the company.

Cons

* Brightcove has immense challenges to overcome. Part of this is because of the scale of the organization versus the immense number of customers. It's both exciting and terrifying at the same time. This is not a true "dislike", but be prepared to be challenged.
    * Brightcove is a big target for competitors because it's the market lead.

Keep reminding us of our position and vision. Sometimes it was easy to lose sight that I was working at a top company because my day to day life involved fighting fires and handling issues. Continually celebrate successes so that you can keep taking pride in what you're accomplishing.

As Brightcove grows, make sure that the core values are maintained. Brightcove has built up a fairly unique culture of smart and easy-to-get-along with employees. Having a nice salary and working on cool stuff is great too, but the emphasis on employees is a huge part of why it was exceptional to work here.

Just a great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Brightcove

Pros

* Smart people.
    * Amazing, fun, collaborative workplace environment
    * Challenging, interesting, and meaningful problems
    * Just went public!!
    * Moving to the newest building on the Boston waterfront
    * Great to be part of a winning environment - people are positive and in good spirits.

Cons

* People are almost too nice!
    * Some growing pains, both in terms of technology/scale and as a business.

Continue to invest in your engineers and give them more freedoms. They often have some of the best insights into the product.

There are newer employer reviews for Brightcove