Brighton Collectibles

There are newer employer reviews for Brighton Collectibles

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, nice discount and easy dress code.

Cons

Constantly micromanaged, unrealistic goals, crazy expectations to plan and execute events on daily basis. The upper management is unprofessional and the constant criticism about partners appearances is unethical to the core. No clear direction of where the company is going from one week to another. It is one of the worst company's to work for!

Listen to your manager's and employees! Get rid of Good Manners it is not effective and sounds robotic! More team building, less team destroying!

77 Other Employee Reviews for Brighton Collectibles (View Most Recent)

Good company as long as you have good people working with & supporting you, corporate seems unrealistic sometimes

Current Employee - Sales Partner
    Current Employee - Sales Partner

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. My co-workers in my store are awesome
    2. The merchandise is amazing
    3. Discount not bad

Cons

Too many "parties" and events with not enough notice to contact customers - plus we end us contacting like the same 50 customers. Not everyone can come to a party every other week on a like a day's notice - space them out to like 2 a month. People don't have THAT much expendable income! Also now with the Target breach, clients are more weary to give up their contact info and such for us to capture the needed contact info to create client profiles.

Focus needs to be on the store goals and less on the individual partners' goals so they are not competing against each other. We're not on commission so don't pit us against each other like we are. This focus could also be my store manager's poor mgmt and leadership since she came from a commissioned environment previously.

You have close to 200 stores - listen to them - we are on the front lines and know the customers - what they like, don't like, etc. so listen to our suggestions and comments!

1. It is unrealistic to cite the 8 Non-Negotiables to EVERY single customer - we sound like robots esp when overheard by the other customer you just went over it with! Chill out on that requirement!
    2. Repairs turnarounds are slower through the stores than if I sent it directly to CA - I know I tested it. And doing a lackluster (no pun intended) job on fixing tarnished jewelry when less than 1 yr old. The Brighton name is on every item you sell - back up your claims by putting support behind EVERY item and make every effort to fix all items esp those <1 yr old and not just the handbags. Also, MFIL merchandise needs to be made stronger and better - for the prices it should be. We have so many returns/repairs on this line.
    3. Re-stock is slow -i.e. last yr we sold out of a number of popular and seasonal charms & beads weeks before Christmas with little replenishment! How do you expect us to make our numbers if you're not keeping track in Corporate of what we have in stock in stores and sending us more stock esp on the popular items?? You can really only do so many charge-sends from other stores before your store's customers get annoyed...

Nice company - lack of cohesiveness and direction - conflicting ideals.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Popular and unique merchandise, great discount, great people, great pay and incentives for management. All the benefits of a family owned company. Brighton is full of energetic engaged people who are true believers. Customers are often obsessed with the merchandise and shop frequently.

Cons

Simultaneously chaotic and micromanaged; insufficient training, overwhelming work load, too many frantically generated events and directives, no time for customers. Unreasonably numerous operations and record keeping functions are antiquated to the point of wasting hours of staff time daily. Low pay and very few incentives for sales partners.

This company is lucky to have professional, caring sales partners and dedicated management teams. The customers are also extremely loyal, and love the product. Sounds like a winning combo, but the disconnect is that the company seems to do everything they can to sabotage that by inserting time consuming tasks, harassing clienteling, and divisive obstacles between the two .

Jerry is a great guy and has been very successful in building Brighton on the basis of amazing merchandise and service. He is famous for his business acumen and his generosity to his people, but now seems to be a little out of touch with what customers and sales teams are experiencing in stores. He is dependent on his group of executives to manage that. I almost feel that the company remains successful in spite of its upper management rather than because of it. I agree with the other reviewer who said that Brighton needs to keep it simple. Great merchandise. Great people. Great service. Done.

Brighton is going through a painful transition right now as they struggle with the old school traditions vs the new micromanagement, and is also experiencing a wane in interest in their brand, but don't seem to have much of a plan. I wish them well, but don't know how much longer I can deal with the situation.

There are newer employer reviews for Brighton Collectibles