Over worked, Under paid!

Current Employee - ECE Lead Teacher
Current Employee - ECE Lead Teacher

I have been working at Brightside Academy

Pros

It pays more that most other child care centers.

Cons

Brightside does NOT like to consider itself a child/day care center. However, the coporate vision is much different than that of the teachers, assistants and staff working with the children in the centers.

Medical benefits are UNAFFORDABLE and some make just a few dollars over the max allowable income to receive medicaid, not easy to take a day off or even half a day, schedule changes daily (too many calls at night to tell staff to come in at 6:30am), too much FORCED overtime with no pay for salaried employees (OT due to lack of staff, meetings or saturday trainings), many staff members are not educated in behavior management techniques used for preschoolers so they are yelling at kids all day, children are moved from room to room in order to stay in ratio but then they are not used to being in another class with different expectations for behavior causing major frustration in the child. Centers do not have a school wide beh mgt policy which makes life very complicated.

Advice to Management

FIRE teachers who do not understand the curriculum or who are unwilling to follow the rules. Hire competent teachers and assistants.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Floater

Current Employee - Floater in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Floater in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Brightside Academy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff becomes like family. You bond with the children. Lucky enough to have gotten an AD that cares about the staff.

Cons

There is no real teaching taking place. I had my child enrolled and saw there was. Nothing but playing going on all day.

Advice to Management

Pay the staff more, whether it be in bonuses or raises (that were taken away this year but administration still recieved), holiday parties, paid lunch hours, give directors gift cards to begin a teacher of the month program, install more laid holidays into the yearly calendar... Big One FREE CHILDCARE FOR EMPLOYEES SINCE MOST PEOPLE ARE THERE ALLLLLL DAY.

2. My review

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Brightside Academy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working with the children and ensuring their daily progress of learning. I get the benefit of attending many trainings and pursuing higher learning consistantly

Cons

When children are sick or hurt there is not much I can do as a teacher, I can't make parents take better care of their children

Advice to Management

Each manager or director is very different, I have no general advice for them. They each have their own way of doing things, which may or may not be correct in my eyes but no advices