There are newer employer reviews for Brightside Academy

Horrific for teachers and management run run run!

Former Employee - Academy Director in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Academy Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Brightside Academy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping families, trying to achieve personal goals while trying to survive corporate hell.

Cons

Pay, benefits, turn over, loss of hours, transfers, morals, lies, lack of training, unprofessional, broken promises, drama

Advice to Management

Run while you still can. Extreme high turn over for teachers and management...you never know who is in charge. Teachers get transferred to other centers often, forced to different classrooms even if their degree doesn't reflect the age group and children have no sense of structure being they have a new teacher every month. Pay may be better than some but will not match to your degree. They want your degree for their grants, thats all. Teacher benefits well over 300 a month, pAyroll consistently incorrect, hours are cut regularly without notice, the union has little pull. Directors are given little training, rules change too often allowing for staff confusion. Write up system is horrible. Corporate talks a very good talk and will lure you with money, bonus , benefits and advancement. Run! the ceo is business minded not education minded. They do not walk the talk they gab. Curriculum is a mess and rarely followed through. Corporate does not value any of their employees from teachers to management. They lie to obtain grant money, bonus structure is flawed and taxed. Ratios tend to be over regularly. Their productivity is horrible thus creating center havoc with lack of teachers because enrollment is low often. Too many ghetto staff with drama and no professionalism. The way they solve problems is firing. Too many center facilities are subpar. The company is losing money fast and will continue to do so. Within five years they reconstructed the company with mass firing more than three times. I was not fireside resigned. People work there for paychecks and you start to lose focus on the love of working with children from these monsters. This is for the Philadelphia region mainly but as a whole the company is a mess. Do not work for them.....too much headache and tears. I learned everything not to do. I have worked as management and on the hiring team. I talk to people in regional an corporate. Everyone knows the flaws and are not proud to work there. I call it the circus, because when it's show time, people put on a good show....but your jobs are not safe there and I could say that About the children as well. Don't get suckered.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Brightside academy is one of the worst places to work in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Brightside Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros at all except for the lunch and super which I think is making the kids over weight

Cons

O Lord where should I start off, first they hire really ghetto people like seriously, the pay is not good, You have to do so much mop the floors, vacuum, teach the kids, design the classroom, take out the garbage, there’s see through windows so the parents can pop in anytime. It’s just ridiculous. For certified teachers this job is not worth your time and energy. Get another low paying job in another daycare not this and you’re going to be working with ghetto people in a ghetto neighborhood with directors who don’t appreciate your work and don’t understand your only human after a 9 hour shift including lunch with no pay it’s not worth your time and energy. The curriculum here is horrible the children don’t learn anything. PARENTS DON’T BRING YOUR CHILDREN INTO THIS DAYCARE. YOU WONT BE HAPPY.

Advice to Management

Come to New York observe the center and change your philosophy and curriculum. I really hope the government stops the funding for this organization because it’s not worth it at all and a uniform for certified teachers please.

I can only speak for the center where I worked.........

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at Brightside Academy

Pros

while working there you are able to help children that come from underprivileged communities. Also, the teachers and assistants are very friendly. The parents and teachers appreciate your hard work and diligence.

Cons

Where should I start..........The pay is horrible. The work is grueling. While there I was a teacher, janitor, cook, security guard and so much more. After all the hard work you put in your efforts will never be acknowledged by management. Speaking of management, very rude no respect for employees.

Advice to Management

Offer confidential surveys for employees about the directors. Allow employs to mail them in. Some individuals want to voice concern but don't wan to lose their jobs.