Brightside Academy

brightsideacademy.com
  brightsideacademy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Brightside Academy

It was a wonderful experience to work with the company.

Former Employee - Taught Summer Program
Former Employee - Taught Summer Program

I worked at Brightside Academy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The children need someone who is lovable and compassionate.

Cons

They did not have enough things for the summer program to do. Especially while the children were napping. That is why there were behavior problems.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Brightside Academy (View Most Recent)

If you have no standards, then this is the place for you...

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Brightside Academy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with inner-city kids can be difficult, but the reward comes when you see they are actually learning and are eager to do their homework and participate in academic activities. That's just my personal satisfaction, working at Brightside has no PROS!

Cons

1. The unfortunate ghetto parents are running the show...no matter how much we try to interact with the parents, the teachers suffer the consequences.
    2. There is no support for teachers! A normal ECE day care would have at least 3 teachers...an after school program would have 1 staff member for 6-10 kids. That is not the case in Brightside, they always have teachers working or breaking one another for lunch.
    3. The neighborhood these cites cater to in the Bronx are the worst. Parents as well as children have an unfortunate lack of respect for themselves and others. You will get hit by, cursed, spit on, or a death threat by a child at some point.
    4. There is a lack of administration at the sites! They only come in for a few visits once a week or so. There is no one to voice your concerns and even if you do, nothing gets done about it. If you are concerned about a child's behavior, it doesn't matter because the parents are running the show and if they don't like what's being to their child, they are still going to bring them in the site.
    5. In-service trainings are completely a waste of time as they do not reflect anything that we can do within our powers. They told us to change our curriculum as well other habits but Brightside is not going to provide us with the materials nor the support!!

Please come to New York and see for yourselves what is going on here. It is absolutely shady business and you should be embarrassed to see how your workers are being exploited. There is no support, no proper/useful training. Curriculums are not being implemented. I would never want to put my child in such an anxiety filled atmosphere. Absolute terror can't wait to find another job.

Horrific for teachers and management run run run!

Former Employee - Academy Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Academy Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Brightside Academy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping families, trying to achieve personal goals while trying to survive corporate hell.

Cons

Pay, benefits, turn over, loss of hours, transfers, morals, lies, lack of training, unprofessional, broken promises, drama

Run while you still can. Extreme high turn over for teachers and management...you never know who is in charge. Teachers get transferred to other centers often, forced to different classrooms even if their degree doesn't reflect the age group and children have no sense of structure being they have a new teacher every month. Pay may be better than some but will not match to your degree. They want your degree for their grants, thats all. Teacher benefits well over 300 a month, pAyroll consistently incorrect, hours are cut regularly without notice, the union has little pull. Directors are given little training, rules change too often allowing for staff confusion. Write up system is horrible. Corporate talks a very good talk and will lure you with money, bonus , benefits and advancement. Run! the ceo is business minded not education minded. They do not walk the talk they gab. Curriculum is a mess and rarely followed through. Corporate does not value any of their employees from teachers to management. They lie to obtain grant money, bonus structure is flawed and taxed. Ratios tend to be over regularly. Their productivity is horrible thus creating center havoc with lack of teachers because enrollment is low often. Too many ghetto staff with drama and no professionalism. The way they solve problems is firing. Too many center facilities are subpar. The company is losing money fast and will continue to do so. Within five years they reconstructed the company with mass firing more than three times. I was not fireside resigned. People work there for paychecks and you start to lose focus on the love of working with children from these monsters. This is for the Philadelphia region mainly but as a whole the company is a mess. Do not work for them.....too much headache and tears. I learned everything not to do. I have worked as management and on the hiring team. I talk to people in regional an corporate. Everyone knows the flaws and are not proud to work there. I call it the circus, because when it's show time, people put on a good show....but your jobs are not safe there and I could say that About the children as well. Don't get suckered.

There are newer employer reviews for Brightside Academy