Brightside Academy

brightsideacademy.com
  brightsideacademy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Brightside Academy

Enjoying the difference in environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Brightside Academy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is changing a lot of their policies, procedures and staffing. Within the last three months I have seen a large change. The company is based on serving underprivileged families in economically challenged areas, it goes without saying that funding can be tight for staff - but who gets into teaching for the money? I think they work well with the resources they have and they are getting better. They are trying to progress all of their sites to a hire academic credential to receive more funding. I like that they are trying to run a school based on early development not just a daycare where kids run around all day. Maybe people do not realize that why we have the education crisis that we do in the inner-city because people are quick to label and they do not want to reach out and assist. Well, they can continue to enjoy the disparity they see in relation to housing and education if they keep an attitude about what is "ghetto" and not. I don't mind working with the company because they are addressing a need that many others shy away from. You can work for bigger daycare places that pay more money but the underprivileged are not going away and people should see clearly that it will never go away if we do not educate our youth. We all need to live, but shame on you if you think you're better off not teaching children in a lower economic neighborhood. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth - and Brightside is trying to grow a generation that will be able to "give spoons" to the generations coming.

Cons

Pay is lower than other places, and so some do not want to work with the company. This equals to less staff.

Pay should be more competitive to alleviate some of the stress that current teachers have. In this way staff won't get "burned out"

31 Other Employee Reviews for Brightside Academy (View Most Recent)

WORST.COMPANY.TO.WORK.FOR

Former Employee - Ar in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Ar in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Brightside Academy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There isn't one that I can think of. Oh but wait if you have a child and fall into their awful rules you may or MAY NOT get free childcare

Cons

I spent 4 and half years with this company. And it turned out to be a total waste. Not too mention the discrimanation I experienced in this job. Supervisors that treated their employees like garbage. Blatent favoritism. They should be ashamed of themselves in the corporate office. Senior management watched as supervisors treated their employees horribly because THEY did not want to deal with having to hire new staff. That sad part is if management took the time to see that they had great workers and fire the supervisors that were awful that company might have a chance. Not too mention a CEO who did not know a single person's name in there. I have never ever in my life seen anything like it. Backstabbing at it's finest. And to make matters worse when you do a good job you get a lot more work dumped on you on top of being talked about and being disrepected. That place is a total joke.

My advice fire the supervisors who are on a total power trip. Those people are the worst management I have ever seen. Not too mention a bunch of racist women who have it out for people who are trying to do well for themselves. It was made clear on numerous occassions what was going on and they turned the other cheek. That place is huge lawsuit waiting to happen!!

The Company Has Little To No Respect For Their Centers Staff

Current Employee - Lower End Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lower End Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Brightside Academy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They're are NONE...Unless you consider your fellow co-workers are sinking in the same ship you're in!

Cons

Poor wages to say a degree is required for most positions. No Real Benefits, No Pension! Childcare teachers are required to have a degree but our thoughts, inputs and suggestions are not taken into consideration. They claim they have the children's best interest is a lie. They don't serve the children a healthy well balance meal, it's all process meals, saturated in fats, sometimes served burnt and cold...For the meals...beware! They don't care how many behavioral children they place in a room, rest assured if the teacher is ratio there is no other help given to her. Teachers have been kicked, hit, spat on by behaviorally challenged children and the children are still allowed to remain in care, if the teacher makes a fuss about the issue, they are reprimanded. Teachers are bounced around from center to center in some cases the centers are on the other side of the city and since we're not given ample pay most teachers depend on public transportation and may not be able to get their...they are then told "Go Home" even though we applied and we're hired at the center that was convenient for us. In addition "Full Time" doesn't mean "Full Time" there are many times you are sent home when the center doesn't have many children. You are penalized if not fired for given your opinion There is nothing I can say positive about this company...nothing at all!

If you're not going to listen to your teachers, because you feel you're above them, then pay attention to the negative blogs and websites such as this and read the negative publicity you're receiving because this your worst PR. In addition look at other large daycare centers, who truly cares about their staff and the children. Look at their incentives, benefits and pension packages...better yet their pay scale. You place your centers in the worst urban areas, without care of safety for your older staff who use public transportation, to walk through those areas either very early in morning or towards evening alone.

There are newer employer reviews for Brightside Academy