There are newer employer reviews for Brinker

It will serve a purpose...for a time.

Current Employee - Server in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Server in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule especially for those pursuing college degrees or other education

Cons

Built upon a strong foundation some managers fail to carry through on values of the culture

Advice to Management

Upper management should thoroughly vet lower level management before hire

Other Employee Reviews for Brinker

1. Change has hurt this company

Former Employee - Line Cook in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Metairie, LA

I worked at Brinker full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is easy to get a job, but this will also mean that other new people are constantly coming in. They have annual softball league which is always fun and after long term yearly bonus is available.

Cons

Yearly bonus does not add up to a real vacation. There is no vacation pay that was removed in2011. Training is virtually nonexistent. The change in company direction came after original owner died and has not gotten better. No benefits and insurance is so high it is unaffordable even by management.

Advice to Management

Keep the employees you have because it is hard to find good help and with no benefits it will be even harder.

2. Not for those who care or want to succeed

Current Employee - Culinary Manager
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck, that's it.

Cons

As a manager, you are constantly required to cut hours to make your budget/plan. By doing this, you are required to cook, be a dishwasher, be a server, be a host, run the window, etc. we put in 70 hour work weeks and then get the "you need to cut more hours" from the schedule. Your GM is not held accountable. You will work your butt off to get ahead but at the end of the day, it's just to make them look good. I was recently told to "figure out the solution" for a problem we've had for a year. My GM doesn't care about it. Rather than hold him accountable, it's left to me. It's easier to tell me to do something rather than my boss who is ultimately the one who should be making those decisions Work life balance is absolutely non existent. They talk a big game but there's no follow through. I've been promotable for 2 years and have been passed over twice. They don't like promoting women. It's only happened once in my career (almost 8 years).

Advice to Management

Hold GMs accountable for their location, not only their managers. Very few of us are getting the development we need and deserve. You are constantly telling us to. "Look in the mirror". May I suggest you do the same??? We can cut all the hours you want but that work is still there to do. Your managers aren't leaders, they are highly paid hourly workers.