British American Tobacco
www.bat.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Constantly changing

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany stands out in the crowd if you join as a Management Trainee: offers good development possibilities, foreign assignments, inspirational trainings, etc. Support and career opportunities given to MTs are outstanding.

BAT promotes fairness, equality of race, sex etc. Employees have lots of freedom and work/life balance is acceptable.

Generally well-defined processes are in place and most employees would work against clear KPIs, at least in the factories.

ConsThe most irritating part of life at BAT - and everyone admits it - is the state of constant change. Project scopes, timelines, structures, decisions are different from day to day. There is no point for managers to plan ahead for more than one month. The absurd pace of change seriously disrupts work if you're an organized and strategically-thinking person.

Second of all, complex matrix structures at regional & global levels do not function well. Amount of bodies, centres, global processes, stakeholders is overwhelming. In such a spaghetti structure there is always at least one stakeholder reluctant to make good business decision and "needing to consult another stakeholder". This is sad, because back in 2007 BAT was much more flexible and adapted easily to market needs.

Lastly, there are limited development opportunities for non-management - money is invested in Management Trainees (this is me speaking - one of them in the past). This leads to paradoxes when people with little expierience take over departments instead of good internal talents.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify structures (=get rid of all "regional centres for..."); promote talent inside the company (=recruit fewer MTs) and promote a culture of working where plans do not change every day.

One place to be

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good working enviroment, competitive salaries, challenging place of work in… Cons: the life work balence can suffer a lot of change (improvement), salaries should be… Advice to Senior Management: pay more attention to people needs and take actions Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good place for work; controversial industry

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
Moscow (Russia)

I worked at British American Tobacco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good compensation Excellent friendly corporate culture Invest in people (education programs, rotation) Cons: Politics sometimes get to the highest levels Controversial industry Advice to Senior Management: Keep delivering! Good job! More

There are newer reviews on British American Tobacco.

Worked for British American Tobacco? Contribute to the Community!

British American Tobacco – Why Work for Us?

We are a leading tobacco group, with brands sold in around 180 markets. With more than 200 brands in our portfolio, we make the cigarette chosen by one in eight of the world’s one billion adult smokers. We hold robust… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at British American Tobacco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for British American Tobacco CEO Nicandro Durante. All reviews posted anonymously by British American Tobacco employees.