Decent work environment

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Broadcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on advance technology in the mobile division. There are plenty of technical fellow-peer webinar training and tool training classes you can take if you can find time outside of your work to participate. Plenty of corporate simulation tools available. Excellent Help and IT support department. Very structured documentation process.

Cons

Company mobile phone technology is behind its competitor...always trailing. Some managers need training on soft skills, especially those the just moved up into management or moved in as a manager from a recent acquisition. Poor collaboration and communication between departments during chip development. No regular corporate vision casting down line. No vacation hour accumulation and no sabbatical. No team building activities. Employee can become individualistic when they are busy. Poor food quality at the Sunnyvale site.

Advice to Management

Improve on technology vision in the phone mobile space and its leadership team.

Other Employee Reviews for Broadcom

1. It was my first internship experience and I learnt about how things work in a technical company.

Former Intern - Software Drivers Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Intern - Software Drivers Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Broadcom as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly and helpful managers and staff - Pays overtime if you stay late to finish urgent tests, etc. - Flexible timings. I interned while going to school and I was able to take time off during finals, midterms. - Learnt about latest developments in the field.

Cons

- Currently going through budget cuts. Makes it hard to convert an intern position into a full time offer.

2. Principal Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Broadcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology, great engineers. Benefits are great.

Cons

Vacation time are not recorded. Hence you don't accumulate PTO. I would have preferred accrued PTOs over "unlimited" PTO since you would have to request for PTOs to your manager. It's up to your manager to let you have PTO. It's a good gimmick accounting to wipe off PTO liability off the books. I would have preferred better 401K matching. It's half of what my previous company's matching.

Advice to Management

None.